Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe

2 posters

Go down

Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe Empty Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe

Post by SJP Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:02 am

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader.

A bit of background: I buy, collect and sell art and jewellery.  Some years ago I bought a collection of studio pieces (about four large boxes worth). There's a lovely little Andrew Davidson vase that was in there along with about 2 dozen pieces with the same impressed mark. For a long time, these were displayed before they went back in to boxes amd were stored. I have never been able to conclusively identify that impressed mark. There are bowls, vases, a jug and (the one item that didn't go back in to storage and is used regularly) a wonderful little watering pot.

I have used your forum regularly in the past to identify potters and their pieces but I have never joined your community. A few days ago, I took some pieces out of storage and began trying to identify the maker again. I failed miserably. Now I have joined in order to reach out for some help. Hopefully I dont mess up the image uploads and you should be able to see plenty of detail of a face jug below. Can anyone identify its maker?

Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe 20230210Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe 20230211Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe 20230213
Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe 20230212
SJP
SJP

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-02-08

Back to top Go down

Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe Empty Re: Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe

Post by SJP Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:04 am

I sent the above post before adding: thanks for the space to post this, your time reading it and any help you can offer.
SJP
SJP

Back to top Go down

Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe Empty Re: Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe

Post by NaomiM Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:20 pm

Lovely jug. Helps to have a photo of the base. Looks like a JD monogram, but JT is also possible. Not one I recognise. It might be European; maybe French

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SJP Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:32 pm

NaomiM wrote:Lovely jug. Helps to have a photo of the base. Looks like a JD monogram, but JT is also possible. Not one I recognise. It might be European; maybe French
I have a number of images of the jug. Here is the base:
Face Jug Identification, JT or JD mark maybe 20230214
I didn't want to add my own thoughts in case it swayed how others saw it, but I have always read the mark as "JT". When I took the photographs yesterday, it suddenly took on the appearance of a kanji character. I have always thought that the glaze was Japanese inspired. Given that this was one collection and included Andrew Davidson, I have also assumed that it is British (the collection was purchased in the UK).

Hope some or all of that helps.
SJP
SJP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum