Painted tile

3 posters

Go down

Painted tile Empty Painted tile

Post by Neil62 February 2nd 2023, 7:06 am

Good morning,
As I am inclined to do from time to time I take a pint on something at auction and this was one of those things!
The main item in the lot was a bowl by Svend Bayer but there was a lot of what Naomi called hobby pottery which has been confined to the bedroom then this figural tile.
I noted it had the Omega workshop mark in one of the corners together with a 3 or W.
The back of the tile was filthy and had a hook in it crudely fastened.
When I cleaned it the tile said made in Italy and had the measurements 25 cms x 25 cms as shown.
There was no mention of the omega mark or omega workshops in the catalogue but for what it was the lot was expensive!
I have no idea whether it is a fake, whether it was produced by someone after the Omega Workshop folded …..which if I’m honest I’m more inclined to believe.
I know about the omega mark and how Fry insisted that there were no personal marks on the work which is strange if someone is making a fake given the additional w or 3.
I think it is too modern but if anyone has any ideas who might assist then I’m happy to listen and learn!
Painted tile 0e8d8e10
Painted tile 536cdb10
Painted tile 01e24810
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Painted tile Empty Re: Painted tile

Post by studio-pots February 2nd 2023, 6:13 pm

It's always difficult to know where to to put a painted tile but this is probably the best place.

Stylistically, it doesn't look like the work of the Omega Workshop and the shiny surface of your tile also doesn't tie in with their work.

Because it is most likely that the tile was purchased as a blank and then painted I would suggested that the signature in the bottom left corner is the signature of the artist.

Whoever painted it was an accomplished artist but the subject and the way it is painted don't give any clues. Also the Made in Italy, would suggest that the blank tile wasn't sold in Italy but elsewhere.

What I mean by all of that is that the type of painting looks late 19th century but the tile, despite the grotty reverse, doesn't appear to be from that period but later production.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 February 2nd 2023, 6:35 pm

At least I got the right place to post it Studio pots!

Not sure where to go next - it’s not like there is a similar facility to BISPM.
I think I will try and find an expert on the Omega workshops / Bloomsbury in the hope that they will have come across something similar before.

I have no idea when tiles were made with Made in
Italy impressed in them - I thought perhaps mid 20th century which obviously took it out of the Omega era.

Thanks for your input Studio-pots!
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 2nd 2023, 7:44 pm

You could try The Courtauld Institute but the tile might be post-WW2

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31506
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 February 2nd 2023, 7:51 pm

NaomiM wrote:You could try The Courtauld Institute but the tile might be post-WW2

Thanks Naomi - I will do that.
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum