Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp.

4 posters

Go down

Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. Empty Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp.

Post by GeorgeG Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:14 am

I just got this at an thrift store.  The base is  about 11 1/2" tall, came with an old cord, and I found it quite attractive.  I've looked at a lot of lamps online using "vine leaves" or "ivy" but no luck.  There is a signature in the back above where the cord comes in.  Can anyone identify it?  How old does it look? Any other thoughts would be appreciated and some suggestions for what kind of shade would look nice.  Thank you.Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. 20230116
Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. 20230117
GeorgeG
GeorgeG

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-08-29

Back to top Go down

Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. Empty Re: Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp.

Post by NaomiM Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:54 pm

I've made the signature darker but I'm afraid I can't read it

Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. Lamp_i10

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp. Empty Re: Need help deciphering a signature on a lamp.

Post by carolalev Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 am

Does it finish ....griffe?
carolalev
carolalev

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2019-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:19 am

Gepiffe?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 pm

Cosgriffe, I think.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgeG Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:36 pm

My Gosh!   I think you're right.  There was a Patrick Cosgriffe who made ceramics and signed things with a signature similar to this one.  His brother Richard is an artist and potter, and is living in Billings.  I sent him the pictures.  If I hear back, I'll post again.  What I read was that Patrick learned to make ceramics from his Richard, who used to live in PortlandNeed help deciphering a signature on a lamp. Screen10
where I am, and it's not far from Salem, our capitol, an hour south, where I found the lamp.

Thank You!!
GeorgeG
GeorgeG

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum