Southwest (?) Vase

2 posters

Go down

Southwest (?) Vase Empty Southwest (?) Vase

Post by maxwellpark September 7th 2022, 9:46 pm

There's a signature on the bottom but I can't read it (last pic)
Was hoping someone would recognize this name if it's a notable one.
Thanks!

Southwest (?) Vase HknkUzC
Southwest (?) Vase WJ1dS9t
Southwest (?) Vase 3XlRfJ1
Southwest (?) Vase ZgYb3q4
Southwest (?) Vase XtbHAFN
maxwellpark
maxwellpark

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2020-06-12

Back to top Go down

Southwest (?) Vase Empty Re: Southwest (?) Vase

Post by Jarl September 9th 2022, 2:10 pm

Little as I know about SW/NA pottery, I'd say it's a modern-ish take on a seed pot or seed jar. Apparently designed with a small hole to deter rodents from entering and eating stored seeds. Usually, from what I've found anyway, you don't see them with a bottom like that. Generally, they're round bottomed without a riser. I can't ID the symbols used for the design, but it must symbolize an adobe home, clouds, steps or something like that...knowing what the symbol is could help refine a search/area. Likely a generalization of a commonly used design. I'd say that the design and overall construction isn't intended to be 'traditional', by rather 'stylized'. Most SW pottery designs tend to be very articulate and detailed in execution so this glazed look doesn't strike me as a potter trying to adhere to strict tradition, per se. But I'm no authority and am just guessing at best. As for the signature...quite difficult to make out. It's hard to know whether it's a full maker's name or abbreviation. The last latter looks like an upper case 'L' ... which is interesting.
Jarl
Jarl

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2022-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by maxwellpark September 10th 2022, 1:06 am

Jarl wrote:Little as I know about SW/NA pottery, I'd say it's a modern-ish take on a seed pot or seed jar.  Apparently designed with a small hole to deter rodents from entering and eating stored seeds.  Usually, from what I've found anyway, you don't see them with a bottom like that.  Generally, they're round bottomed without a riser.  I can't ID the symbols used for the design, but it must symbolize an adobe home, clouds, steps or something like that...knowing what the symbol is could help refine a search/area. Likely a generalization of a commonly used design.  I'd say that the design and overall construction isn't intended to be 'traditional', by rather 'stylized'.  Most SW pottery designs tend to be very articulate and detailed in execution so this glazed look doesn't strike me as a potter trying to adhere to strict tradition, per se.  But I'm no authority and am just guessing at best.  As for the signature...quite difficult to make out.  It's hard to know whether it's a full maker's name or abbreviation.  The last latter looks like an upper case 'L' ... which is interesting.                

Thanks Jarl for this detailed explanation of what you think it is. Very interesting to read what you wrote and your guess is as good as mine but I will have to google more on what you wrote. Thanks again so much for your input!
maxwellpark
maxwellpark

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2020-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum