Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace?

3 posters

Go down

Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Empty Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace?

Post by pnwtiger August 31st 2022, 9:36 pm

Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Img_6610
Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Img_6611
Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Img_6612
Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Img_6710
Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Img_6711

Hi all! New to the forum and was hoping for some help with this striking footed bowl. Feels incredibly well done but just can't nail the name. Wallace?...or perhaps a G as the first character?

3" high
5.5" diameter
Weight: 429g

Thanks!
pnwtiger
pnwtiger

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-07-28

Back to top Go down

Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Empty Re: Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace?

Post by PotteryMaim September 3rd 2022, 9:39 am

Check out a piece by Vicky Wallace in Marks Proj. similar perfect shape, slightly devolved similar signature.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2022-08-26

Back to top Go down

Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace? Empty Re: Signature help on this modern studio blue glaze bowl, Wallace?

Post by pnwtiger September 3rd 2022, 3:00 pm

Thanks! I had looked over there already and seen Vicky but something still doesn't quite feel right. I can't seem to find any of her pieces anywhere either to help out.
pnwtiger
pnwtiger

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim September 4th 2022, 12:18 am

I didn't either, but noticed that the piece on MP came from Mill's College Art Museum ceramics collection-- which might explain the rarity of work from an obviously skilled artist. I have so many pieces like that.
I mean, how prolific can you expect a woman in the arts to have proven out, in the mid 20th century?
Nothing personal-- not to start a feminist screed, but the very forum name refers to a time when most made names in art were names of men. For that matter, that man's name on the bottom was just as likely to be part of a pottery team, with "Mrs" doing the glaze. 
And how likely is it for there to be a secret trove of pots by two different classically-trained, gifted potters named Wallace, that had all those other match-y qualities, and made their W like that?
If you keep looking, you might have better luck looking for matches in form, glaze color and texture, even clay body, under another name. try looking for inked/painted initials with a V but not a W.
If Vicky Wallace kept potting after she left college (in the mid-late 20th century, aka the Cold War) it's more than likely she did it in a man's studio, with his last name on the stamp, because the ceramicist is the one who throws the pot. And the community of women artists making a name they were born with-- especially if they began after WWII-- was population 0. 

PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2022-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by pnwtiger September 6th 2022, 5:42 pm

Oh absolutely. I'm right there with you and hope that's the case. I'll keep digging. It's a stunning piece. Thank you so much!
pnwtiger
pnwtiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 6th 2022, 6:19 pm

I doubt this bowl is a studio piece and I suspect the mark is remnants of whatever marking was on the piece the mold for this was taken from.

Regarding the forum name and female potters in the mid to late 20th century, we have had numerous highly regarded female potters. Lucie Rie for example is arguably the most revered ceramic artist in Britian during that period, she was awarded several honours, including the title of Dame.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3674
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum