Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT

2 posters

Go down

Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Empty Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT

Post by culturalamnesia Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Hello!

I'm new to the forum but have been a longtime admirer of funky pottery. I'm an amateur ceramicist myself, which is what made this particular bowl catch my eye. It was high up on a bookshelf in one of those secondhand stores that's less curation and more mountains of miscellaneous items for cheap, and i thought this bowl was just gorgeous. Its size and weight got me thinking that perhaps this wasn't just a casual art project or even necessarily the work of a hobbyist (I know successfully firing big heavy objects can be a bit of a task). Google reverse image search was unhelpful, and I think my lack of adequate vocabulary is making searching a description of the piece a bit difficult. I asked a friend who is slightly more in the know than I am and he seemed to believe it was studio pottery, which is what brings me here.

Here is the bowl in question! I took some photos with and without flash of the whole piece:
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowl110
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowl210
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowl310
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowl410

Here are detail shots of the handles (honestly my favorite part, I've never seen handles like this on a fruit/salad bowl) and the stamps. There's this raised texture along the top of the cubes as well as the whole rim that looks like it was made with some kind of... maybe styrofoamy kind of material, something artificial/plastic, yknow? Then there's this lovely very circular indents, maybe made with a ball or the end of a wooden spoon. Might be an artistic way to deal with visible seam lines (as I'm guessing this is a slab bowl?)

Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Handle11
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Handle10
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Stampd11
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Stampd12
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Stampd10

and here is the mark-- definitely a B, the cross, I suppose, could be a T. Or it could be ornamental. I had trouble searching this one. Any leads or clues would be appreciated.
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Noflas10
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Markcl10

Specs:

Its irregular size makes it a bit hard to measure, but here's a schematic I made of how I measured:
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowlhe10
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowlsi11
Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Bowlsi10

so, in case it's hard to read-- the shorter diameter is 12 inches/30.5cm ; the longer diameter is 12.5 inches/31.75cm ; the shorter height is 3 inches/7.6cm ; the higher height (ha ha) is 4 inches/10.2cm.

Weightwise, I'd guess it's about 5 pounds?

I acquired it in New York City (South Queens to be super super specific). Please let me know if you have any other questions! Happy to give as many details as needed.

culturalamnesia
culturalamnesia

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Back to top Go down

Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT Empty Re: Blue Stamped & Textured Fruit/Salad Bowl with Cube Handles, Marked B or BT

Post by NaomiM Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am

I think it’s an LB monogram, but not one I’ve come across before. I couldn’t find it on The Marks Project website of US studio pottery marks

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum