Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues?

3 posters

Go down

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? Empty Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues?

Post by Lottielawrence June 21st 2022, 12:43 pm

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? Efec8010

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? 5224eb10

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? 0cb20010

H there, I hope you lovely people could help me with a potentially non British pot?  It has no marks on the bottom; I think it is thickly potted stoneware, the bronze mounts are lovely and the colour way and style are making me wonder if it is British Aesthetic Movement and not an oriental example. The turquoise leaves in the second image look rather interesting/unusual.

Please feel free to chastise if this is an inappropriate post. I have used up all my research skills and still have got nowhere.

Kind regards (I cannot find the notifications thingy…!)
Lottielawrence
Lottielawrence

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2021-07-05

Back to top Go down

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? Empty Re: Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues?

Post by NaomiM June 21st 2022, 2:15 pm

Is the brown base wood or bronze? If it’s original; glued to the vase; then I’d say Oriental

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues? Empty Re: Is my oriental gourd vase British? If not any clues?

Post by Lottielawrence June 22nd 2022, 12:58 am

Hello Naomi
Thank you so much for your help. The base and topper are both bronze and stuck on. A further trawl through google lens methinks. It might be more successful without Aesthetic in the search parameters.
Regards LL
My

Lottielawrence
Lottielawrence

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2021-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 22nd 2022, 10:04 pm

It's absolutely in the British Aesthetic Movement style but wouldn't have been made here.

Made for the European export market and I feel sure that it's going to be impossible to find out anything else, except if it came from Japan or China.

It's period i.e late 19th century.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum