Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?

4 posters

Go down

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  Empty Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?

Post by NaomiM June 7th 2022, 12:26 am

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  Beeed410

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  03242b10

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  0121f410

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  Empty Re: Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 6:22 am

It looks like an R. T. Stuart, in that it has a seascape with a tiny lone figure in the middle distance, with some aspect of not belonging in the scene. Maybe their dress or their actions or just a stance. And the brushstrokes aren't particularly un-alike. I mean, that very wind-tossed water and the boat's looking very tippy-- but the figure is standing ramrod straight, looking out to sea, wearing a derby and possibly holding a walking stick.
Is it possible this artist is RT Stuart, (19th century, but) maybe a 20th century art student/fan?
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2022-08-26

Back to top Go down

Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?  Empty Re: Help with signature: R T Penna? A T Penn?

Post by NaomiM August 27th 2022, 10:19 am

Cheers. Lovely work but unfortunately not signed Stuart

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 27th 2022, 1:55 pm

They look like Thames sailing barges, or the North East sea-going coal barges.
Penna is a NE name, but I suspect it's probably Penn.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 7:28 pm

Oh, I do think it says "RT. PENN." -- a dot, not a tiny, blobby lower-case letter a--  because how would that be consistent with the other neat, block capital letters?
I also think it has at least a tributary connection to the works of Stuart, if not his actual work. Being a prolific painter, he was as subject to the needs and causes for using a pseudonym as anyone.
But, I admit that's not what you asked. So, yeah, I think that it says RT. PENN.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 29th 2022, 7:00 pm

On further reflection as to the nature of pen names/aliases/pseudonyms, and especially taking into account the subtle humor inherent in the works of RT Stuart-- 
If I owned this painting I would personally conclude this to be an RT Stuart painting signed with a punnish "pen" name, nudgenudge, winkwink, say no more-- RT Penn-- a pen name.
Alternatively it is a fake or a tribute by a punny student and the RT. PENN.- name nudgewink-- is all part of that. 
Given the way his figures are so oddly characterized, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Stuart was as obnoxious with puns as any Dad ever was.
Maybe it would be fun to review his paiting one-by-one and caption each figure with an appropriate pun.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 29th 2022, 7:44 pm

Unfortunately not as good as RT Stuart and unlikely to be 19thC. I think it’s mid to late 20thC. Probably a hobby painter.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 29th 2022, 8:32 pm

Always worth checking the level of dirt. Sherlock Holmes dust method.

Just use some white sprit on a clean white cotton sheet and gently clean a little of the top the frame (where you can't see from the front) - not the painting itself

There should be a lot of dirt on it if it's 19th century (smoke from fires and tobacco) and lot less if if it's 20th. Back looks c20 to me.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 29th 2022, 8:59 pm

Even the front look C. 20-- going by the grub test.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum