ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature

5 posters

Go down

ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Empty ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature

Post by andynpton May 13th 2022, 4:40 pm

This Fish Money Box with Italy impressed on one foot, also has what appears a Handpainted signature. Any ideas appreciated, thanks ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature 7f919710
ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Fbfdbf10
andynpton
andynpton

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-09-09

Back to top Go down

ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Empty Re: ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature

Post by jonspencer May 13th 2022, 5:49 pm

I do not think the signature or piece looks Italian at all, not sure why you think it is Italian?
jonspencer
jonspencer

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2021-06-16

Back to top Go down

ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Empty Re: ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 13th 2022, 6:19 pm

it has got pinky clay - OP need photo of whole base please - with all marks
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonspencer May 13th 2022, 6:57 pm

pardon me I missed that it was stamped Italy

the signature looked Arabic to me ;-)
jonspencer
jonspencer

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 13th 2022, 7:25 pm

Oh - is that the ITALY? I assumed it was on the missing foot
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andynpton May 14th 2022, 9:08 am

Thanks for thoughts so far. Yes the impressed mark is clearly ITALY, and the signature quite distinctive. Looks to me like a crossed T with a W rather than Arabic? ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Image20
andynpton
andynpton

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jonspencer May 14th 2022, 9:51 am

you might be correct about the "t" but "w" is not part of the alphabet in Italian
jonspencer
jonspencer

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 5:34 am

Sydney Hardy Beale. Colors match and the signature for some reason is TTT and appears in various forms, always with TTT. You can spot it in your adorable fishy- wish it were mine-- because while the Ts kind of look like symbols, there are three dots, each of which, on pottery, almost always seems to signify an initial.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2022-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 5:37 am

Don't almost all pottery cultures have a vein of red clay running through them? I could be wrong.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

ITALIAN MID CENTURY FISH MONEY BOX - Help with Signature Empty Syndi Hardy Beall misspelled in text below

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 5:48 am

Sydney Hardy Beale. Colors match and the signature for some reason is TTT and appears in various forms, always with TTT. You can spot it in your adorable fishy- wish it were mine-- because while the Ts kind of look like symbols, there are three dots, each of which, on pottery, almost always seems to signify an initial.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 27th 2022, 10:20 am

It’s stamped Italy. Unfortunately it’s difficult to ID Italian pieces unless they’re obviously Bitossi or similar

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by PotteryMaim August 27th 2022, 7:42 pm

Bitossi did their "Italy" sig in scrawly black ink. Aldo Londi's work for them wasn't signed "Aldo Londi". 
There's also such a thing as guest artists, especially at pottery studios. The impressed stamp tells where the form came from, not necessarily the glaze.
Pottery houses the world over have supplied unpainted forms to diy painting shops. 
There's an ink signature with a distinctive TTT incorporated.
PotteryMaim
PotteryMaim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum