Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina

2 posters

Go down

Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina Empty Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina

Post by andynpton March 30th 2022, 6:06 pm

Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina 1f9ebd10
Hi anyone able to identify this vase? Many thanks Andrew

Last edited by denbydump on March 3rd 2023, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pos ID)
andynpton
andynpton

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-09-09

Back to top Go down

Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina Empty Re: Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina

Post by chasdevlin March 31st 2022, 2:07 pm

I don't know, but it does have the look of 60s/70s Empoli.
chasdevlin
chasdevlin

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2016-07-26

Back to top Go down

Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina Empty Re: Caramel Cased Glass Vase with Relief Decoration Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina

Post by andynpton March 31st 2022, 2:59 pm

Thank you That definitely seems a contender, not least for their use of a "butterscotch" colourway
andynpton
andynpton

Back to top Go down

Post by chasdevlin April 4th 2022, 12:33 am

Was just flicking through Millers 2009 collectibles and came across a vase with the same flower pattern on it. It's on page 286.
We were right to think Empoli, to be exact they attribute it to Opalina Fiorentina. The one in the book isn't the same as yours -it's in blue and has a taller shape, but it seems they were made in a number of shapes. They state they were made in the following colours - beige (which would be yours), green, yellow, orange and blue. Sometimes they had an inner lining of opaque white and sometimes not.
chasdevlin
chasdevlin

Back to top Go down

Post by andynpton April 4th 2022, 8:23 am

Thank you that’s really helped and I’ve now found similar ones mentioned as designed by Carlo Moretti “Snowflake”
andynpton
andynpton

Back to top Go down

Post by chasdevlin April 4th 2022, 8:55 am

Yes, I see a pair in blue are being sold on Etsy. The snowflake descripter makes sense as it looks more like that than a flower (which is how they're described in Millers). I'm a bit sceptical about the seller's claim they were designed by Carlo Moretti though. He would have been establishing his Murano glassmaking business at the time, why would he have been involved with moulded glass in Empoli? I can't find him linked with Empoli in any of the online bios.
chasdevlin
chasdevlin

Back to top Go down

Post by chasdevlin April 4th 2022, 9:06 am

Incidentally there's a thread about these on glassmessages which confirms the Stelvia/Opalina Fiorentina attribution.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31200.0.html
Some of Oplina Fiorentina's glass, though not this design, does look a bit like Carlo Moretti's vases with their thick wavy lines so I suspect that's where the seller has got that idea from. But I don't think they're connected.
Cheers Geraint.
chasdevlin
chasdevlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum