Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze

2 posters

Go down

Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze Empty Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze

Post by Perse March 22nd 2022, 2:04 pm

10 cm diameter bowl with a sandy finish (I don't know what this technique is called) and a yellow-glazed base. Mark is ink-stamp under the yellow glaze, just possibly reading LE. Bowl was a present in the late 80s/early 90s, I think.

Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze 20220311
Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze 20210811
Perse
Perse

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-01-02

Back to top Go down

Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze Empty Re: Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze

Post by NaomiM March 22nd 2022, 3:35 pm

It might be a clay with a high sand content, or rolled in sand, but alternatively it might be cranks clay, which has a high proportion of grogg (granulated fired pottery mixed with fine clay), and the potter has washed out some of the finer clay after throwing to leave a textured surface.
Possibly an LE or LS monogram in a circle

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze Empty Re: Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze

Post by Perse March 22nd 2022, 5:01 pm

It looks more like your second suggestion. Maybe keeping an eye out for another example of the unusual surface treatment is my best hope of identifying the potter. I'll report back if I find out - thanks!
Perse
Perse

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 24th 2022, 9:02 pm

Just discovered there is also a type of clay called T-material. Like Cranks Clay it gives a textured surface.

Small sandy-textured bowl with ink stamp under glaze Ande_t10

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum