Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China

4 posters

Go down

Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China  Empty Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China

Post by JW January 14th 2022, 5:22 am

So I have a crystalline vase remarkably similar to what I see on 1stDibs for a handsome sum. Oriental Heritage calls it "A decorative piece of little value". So which is it and what makes a crystalline vase a genuine "Shiwan". Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China  Pxl_2010
Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China  Pxl_2011
                                         newby JW
JW
JW

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-01-13

Back to top Go down

Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China  Empty Re: Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China

Post by philpot January 14th 2022, 8:35 am

The CHINA mark would imply that it is a piece made for mass export in large quantities.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6631
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China  Empty Re: Crystalline glaze vase, Shiwan production ware, China

Post by NaomiM January 14th 2022, 11:50 am

1stdibs is a sales site for dealers targeting buyers with more money than sense. One dealer, who also has an antiques shop, told me that many like him list items on there at higher prices than his shop so they can show customers they are getting a ‘bargain’. Knock at least a 0 or 50% off their prices.

As far as this vase is concerned it’s a mass produced decorative piece. According to Wiki "Shiwan ware is Chinese pottery from kilns located in the Shiwanzhen Subdistrict of the provincial city of Foshan, near Guangzhou, Guangdong". Many types of pottery is made there, probably including this vase. From the latter half of the 20thC. Decorative value only. Check completed listings on ebay for an idea of value - one sold for £9.

Last edited by NaomiM on January 14th 2022, 12:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 14th 2022, 12:01 pm

Very pretty though, I would enjoy having it on display

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15457
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JW January 14th 2022, 6:24 pm

Worth that much?? Thank God I bought it at the neighborhood Goodwill for $9 U.S..Thank you for the education. Appreciated.
JW
JW

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum