+5
r-and-f
denbydump
dantheman
climberg64
22 Crawford St.
9 posters

Go down

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Empty Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 14th 2014, 9:33 pm

The book has Donald Mills Potting with Bernard Leach at St Ives in 1944, thence to Fulham in 45, then to Donald Mills Pottery Ltd with Eillen Lewenstein for 46-48 and to Briglin 48-52.

The 70's stuff I personally consider tending towards the tourist but I keep looking for the more personnel items from the later period, but to no avail. Perhaps someone will post one or two DJM that will change my mind.

I am thinking my pieces date to the DM Pottery period 1946-48. However I have another white clay vase which is squat and does not in any way compare to these dated 1947 - hand signed - "Donald Mills 1947"

1) Medium vase - Marked "D.M.-" in blue painted under glaze. Height 200mm
2) Huge Lidded Storage Jar - Stoneware - 300mm - Mark obscured by label.
3) Cider Jar - Stoneware, saltglazed 230mm - marked "Dm"

I've looked but these sort of items just don't come up any more. The slatgalze flagon is a great shape and I've used it a few times. I have resisted removing any more of the interesting label from the huge lidded jar and it is still as it came to me.

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  _2014010

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  _2014011

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  _2014012

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  _2014017

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  _2014018
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Empty Re: Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex

Post by climberg64 August 16th 2014, 11:28 am

Nice. Leach influence in the leaf pattern perhaps. £3, 3 shillings was expensive; I guess that's the price.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Empty Re: Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 16th 2014, 5:37 pm

I looked it up

Bus fare (kids) 1/2d
Chips 1d
Fish 3d
Ford Popular £80 (3 year waiting list)
Terraced House £400
Fairly good semi house £750

Somehow I think DM has depreciated in value.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 16th 2014, 7:08 pm

I often see antiques shows where a person says something like 'I bought this piece in 1962 for £500'.Then the experts tells them it is now worth £900 and they both agree it was a great investment!!  Shock

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 16th 2014, 8:04 pm

Yes, and consider what £500 would be worth now if in the 60's you went out and invested it in some Luie Rie or Bernard Leach, perhaps commission a full dinner service or two.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 16th 2014, 8:07 pm

Or sat at Troika's factory door and bought the lot as it came out of the kiln.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by r-and-f September 14th 2015, 1:25 pm

Here's a Donald Mills vase bought in a lot at auction the other day for the cost of about 25 Mars Bars.  It's clearly closely related to the one on the left above but has the full signature and date 1948 on the base.  Does this help for comparison, 22CS?

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Donald10

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Donald12
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 14th 2015, 8:33 pm

BINGO! TYVM  Jumping For Joy

Yes it does not come across on mine but that crazed base is the same also - with a slightly pale blue/green tint? Can I ask the height? - the smaller of mine is 200mm and big one with the lid is 300mm
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by r-and-f September 14th 2015, 11:19 pm

Glad to have been of service!

My vase is 157 mm tall, smaller than either of yours, and yes, the glaze on the base is a little more celadon-looking than it appears in the photo.

By the way, in the late 1950s I lived in York Street, just one block over from Crawford Street. But I didn't know there was a pottery there because I didn't pass number 22 on my daily route to primary school. So this anecdote sadly turns out to be much less interesting than it might have seemed at first sight. Sorry about the anticlimax.
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 14th 2015, 11:25 pm

Celadon like yes.

There is a lovely description in the Briglin book of them opening the glass vents in the street to vent hot air from the basement kiln and people walking past looking down into the workshop.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. March 18th 2017, 10:12 pm

Update... all 1946-1948 pieces. Still hard to find and a shame he gave up potting as he would have made a decent pot if he continued for another 30/40 years - as it is his pieces are a curiosity.

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  111
Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  211

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills10 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills12 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills11 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills13 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills14 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills15 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills17 Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Dmills16
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Empty Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Sussex

Post by Yelena December 9th 2021, 11:18 am

Good day to everyone.

I have the vase and the small bowl by DJM - Donald & Jacqueline Mills. Below are the photos with the sample of their pottery mark and their works.

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Bowl10

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  Vase10

On this site more samples of their work available for viewing.

http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=268

Last edited by NaomiM on December 9th 2021, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Quote removed for reasons of copyright - Admin)
Yelena
Yelena

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 2nd 2023, 10:47 am

Attached please find pics of a Donald Mills stoneware glazed jug of mine.

Height is approx 9.5 inches.

Signature of “D.M.” to the base with additional wording below which I cannot decipher but think that the last few symbols may be a price in old money.

Would love an opinion on the pieced age. Think it may possibly be late 1940s?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  D1d9d610
Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  07be6b10
Donald Mills, London, and Donald & Jacqueline Mills, Chichester, Sussex  86649910
Sbro
Sbro

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2022-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 2nd 2023, 1:25 pm

It's got to be late 1940s/early 1950s but the price of 30 shillings - £1.50 would have been a significant sum back then.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 2nd 2023, 1:38 pm

The Marks book said he was potting in London 1945-52. First as a thrower at Fulham Pottery (1945-46), then producing production ware with Eileen Lewenstein, (1946-48) marked Donald Mills Pottery or painted D.M. Then at Briglin (1948-52). He ceased potting between 1955-74. From 1974 he was potting with Jacqueline in Chichester, so presumably that's when he used the DJM monogram. So according to the book this jug would have been made 1946-48 although it seems to be dated 1950.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 2nd 2023, 2:45 pm

Dear Naomi and Studio

Firstly, could you both post the address of your opticians. I need eyes as good as yours! Would also help if I had a smidgen of your collective expertise!

Thanks for tieing the loose ends together. Really appreciated

Kindest as always
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. April 2nd 2023, 4:39 pm

I still follow DM search on ebay. All of this type (glaze colour, base, stoneware etc) are marked late 40s probably 47/48

Don't go to Naomi's opticians! I can't see it either. I agree , thinking that those marks under are probably post potter later price marks.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 2nd 2023, 5:17 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:I still follow DM search on ebay. All of this type (glaze colour, base, stoneware etc) are  marked late 40s probably 47/48

Don't go to Naomi's opticians!  I can't see it either. I agree , thinking that those marks under are probably post potter later price marks.  

Thanks 22 Crawford St

Appreciate your input and insights.

Love DM’s work. Underrated IMHO

Cheers

Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. April 2nd 2023, 6:06 pm

Underrated but if you don't produce for 30/40/50 years then there is not enough to judge by and you fall through the crack in the bottom of the pot.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 2nd 2023, 7:15 pm

That’s very true…
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 2nd 2023, 7:27 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:
Don't go to Naomi's opticians!  I can't see it either. I agree , thinking that those marks under are probably post potter later price marks.  

Well I wouldn't swear on it in court Big Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots April 3rd 2023, 11:18 am

NaomiM wrote:The Marks book said he was potting in London 1945-52. First as a thrower at Fulham Pottery (1945-46), then producing production ware with Eileen Lewenstein, (1946-48) marked Donald Mills Pottery or painted D.M. Then at Briglin (1948-52). He ceased potting between 1955-74. From 1974 he was potting with Jacqueline in Chichester, so presumably that's when he used the DJM monogram. So according to the book this jug would have been made 1946-48 although it seems to be dated 1950.

I think that I might have got this from Alan Wallwork, who knew Eileen and Brigitte of Briglin well. I recall him talking about Donald throwing work at Briglin in the early days but continuing to make some of his own work separately.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sbro April 3rd 2023, 4:51 pm

Hi Studio Pots

Thanks for the further info. Means a 1950 DM pot is possible?

Kindest
Sbro
Sbro

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum