Sgraffito jar signed with Asian characters.

Go down

Sgraffito jar signed with Asian characters. Empty Sgraffito jar signed with Asian characters.

Post by Yelena December 6th 2021, 8:40 pm

Good day everyone.

Sgraffito jar signed with Asian characters. Sgraff10

Nice little jar, with nice little handles. I think the floral design technique calls "sgraffito". The glaze is a nice warm brown. Base color is off-white with slight teal tint to it. Bottom stand (base) has rim part which is unglazed, and the color of clay the same as a glazed part of the base - off-white with slight teal tint to it.
Handles have soft uprising relief on the top which looks like a branch with leaves. The jar is glazed inside with the same color as the base - off-white with slight teal tint to it.
The quality of this ceramic work is precise, floral design done by hand and holding up an incredible, almost symmetrical repetition of the ornate on both sides of the body.

Measures approx.:  4 1/4" in height; 4" diameter on opening; 5" handle to handle; 2 1/2" base rim diameter.

Incised handwritten signature under the glaze, I believe, it is Asian characters. Could be either Chinese or Japanese, I don't know. Or...maybe I am totally off with my guess and signature is not Asian at all?

If anybody by any chance could recognize the signature, or give an opinion, I will appreciate much.

Thank you in advance.
Yelena
Yelena

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-11-16

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum