Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?

2 posters

Go down

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Empty Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?

Post by Yelena December 6th 2021, 8:32 pm

Good day, everyone.

I just keep going posting the items which I collected and wasn't able to identify and in coming days I will post photos with identified signatures too as I am moving along.

Here is a small bowl.

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Green-11

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Green-10

Glaze - green and red colors. Crazing on green colored glaze. Hand signed on the bottom under the glaze.
Measures approx. 3 3/4" on opening, 4 1/4" in the widest part, 2 1/8" bottom stand, 2 3/8" in height.
The bowl has a visual border inside right below the rim, approx. 1/4" wide, pale reddish color.
The very rim of the bottom stand (base) is unglazed, and clay is white.

Signature is readable, and I believe it reads "Moris", or it could be "Morris". I did run the search on Internet, nothing about "Moris", and for "Morris" I was able to find a couple similar looking signatures, but they are from the different artists.

One sample is actually lead me on this forum, here is the link to the topic, if it would be helpful to compare:
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t19008-d-morris-pottery-david-la-paz
Even so, the script of the signature has some similarity (third photo), I don't think that it is the same person's handwriting, unless the handwriting was changed by the person.

Another sample of signature I found to be more alike looking belong to the glass artist. Here is the link to view the sample, photo with the signature, including the artist's last name is the last one in their listing (it is an auction site, if it is considered soliciting, I apologize, and the link could be removed):
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14625536_2-william-morris-artifact-glass-vessel-vase-signed

Maybe I am reading the signature wrong?

If anybody could recognize the work, or the signature, or give one's respectful opinion, I'll much appreciate it.
Also, is it correct to say that the red glaze is "oxblood", and the green one is "celadon"?

Thank you in advance.
Yelena
Yelena

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-11-16

Back to top Go down

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Empty Re: Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?

Post by NaomiM December 6th 2021, 8:36 pm

The word seems to end in an i, Momi?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Empty Re: Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?

Post by Yelena December 6th 2021, 8:47 pm

There is a bit of a swirl at the end of the last letter. I was also reading Momi, then saw that little swirl and guessed that it could be Moris or Morris. I still posting other items, as soon as I finish, I will retake the picture and will post here.
Yelena
Yelena

Back to top Go down

Post by Yelena December 6th 2021, 10:30 pm

OK. Here is couple reshoots. I think that is correct - the last letter is an "i" and what I see as a little swirl, just a play of bit darker glaze. Signatures so elusive, including pottery signatures. I guess Moris or Morris would be way too easy.
Will run search for Momi, or maybe Morni? Or Monri? I will try. Thank you, Naomi.

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Mark-110

Small bowl - green with red - signed Moris or Morris? Or something else?  Mark-210
Yelena
Yelena

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum