'servizio' set

2 posters

Go down

'servizio' set  Empty 'servizio' set

Post by jonspencer November 1st 2021, 7:29 am

I bought this handmade glass set in Italy but it could be from elsewhere

the seller claimed it was Art Deco but I bought it because it was obviously handmade and rather unique

has anybody seen this style?

'servizio' set  Pxl_2131
'servizio' set  Pxl_2132
'servizio' set  Pxl_2133
jonspencer
jonspencer

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2021-06-16

Back to top Go down

'servizio' set  Empty Re: 'servizio' set

Post by Yelena December 5th 2021, 1:55 pm

Hello. I would not claim anything in particular, but what intrigued me it is a color of the glass. Very specific tint to it. Some similarity with such tint of color I saw in the pictures of Daum art deco pieces. I don't think that your set is a Daum production, it lacks accuracy and complexity in design. But maybe origin of the glass in France? I believe, the glass is heavy acid etched with hand cut geometrical design, which is an easy fit for art deco descriptions by anybody, but the bottom part with heavy ball like part is not typical and reminding me type of works made by Carl Erickson in States. Below is a citation from this site about him:
https://herald-dispatchblogs04.blogspot.com/2008/07/blenko-made-in-usa.html
"E R I C K S O N G L A S S W O R K S Carl Erickson was a Swedish-born glass artist who brought the spirit of Swedish design to his Bremen, Ohio Factory. This defunct glass factory was purchased by brothers Carl and Steven Erickson in 1943. Carl designed most of the mold-blown glass, distinguished by heavy casing, controlled bubbles, and frequently, a heavy ball of glass for a base. They were identified by a yellow and blue paper label, and free-formed pieces had an engraved signature. The company closed in 1961".

I agree with you, set is unique looking, and color of the glass is lovely. Sorry, could not give you more educated guess about style or origin of your set.
Yelena
Yelena

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jonspencer December 6th 2021, 2:18 am

thank you for the interesting reply

this set could very well be from France or elsewhere

I look at lots of different glass in Italy and really have seen none like this
jonspencer
jonspencer

Back to top Go down

Post by jonspencer December 6th 2021, 8:29 am

I looked at the Erickson glass designs and they have some similarities

however the pieces I have are more crudely made IMO, most of the glasses are different sizes and leaning in different directions

seems they might even have been made before the Art Deco period?
jonspencer
jonspencer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yelena December 6th 2021, 11:02 pm

You are welcome. Out of my experience with glass it is hard to tell the age of it. In the past I came across some pieces, which were looking as new, but ended up vintage or antiques, and vice versa, some glass would be looking old, but age would be younger.
The link about Carl Erickson I posted thinking, that if he brought Swedish designs to States, that your glass could be made by some Swedish artist maybe. That heavy ball on the base quite a design signature. At the same time, I have couple vases with heavy ball on the base designed like paperweight with flowers made by an American artist Joe Rice, who's family linkage was to France.
I would agree with your opinion, that it is less likely Italian origin glass.
I wish you good luck with your farther discoveries and sorry could not help you more. Have a nice day.
Yelena
Yelena

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum