French Pottery Art Deco? Hand signed D (backwards) and D pottery Paris

3 posters

Go down

French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris Empty French Pottery Art Deco? Hand signed D (backwards) and D pottery Paris

Post by Maggiejo September 10th 2021, 2:54 am

What period do you think this is from, and by whom? I think it’s old..? It feels very thick and heavy. 7 1/2”tall, by 5” wide. I haven’t found anything yet online, but I keep searching. I really love how heavy and thick it feels, like when I place the lid on it is so weighty falling into place. And while the flowers (just to call the design that) almost appear stamped into the clay, they are not, though all seem to be missing the same ‘petal’ in the same position (and occasionally an extra one in the position directly across from the consistently missing one). I just really like it and would like to know more about itFrench Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris Def56210
French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris 43896c10
French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris Ffa55c10

Maggiejo
Maggiejo

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2021-08-05

Back to top Go down

French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris Empty Re: French Pottery Art Deco? Hand signed D (backwards) and D pottery Paris

Post by NaomiM September 10th 2021, 11:40 am

Probably Paris, Texas, but not a mark I’ve come across before

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31472
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris Empty Re: French Pottery Art Deco? Hand signed D (backwards) and D pottery Paris

Post by tenpot September 10th 2021, 3:13 pm

its a bit like the mark for CALLIS started in vallauris by capron derval and picault the D is like Dervals they were in Paris before
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggiejo September 11th 2021, 1:38 am

Yes, thank you, I think it was Callis! I’d like to understand the D and D better, but I found something that closely matches the vessel in the signature. The knobs on the lids are also very similar.
French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris E65b3a10
French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris 006ecf10
Maggiejo
Maggiejo

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot September 11th 2021, 3:06 pm

the problem is that callis was a t Vallauris not Paris , Ive seen that stamped pattern somewhere as well
tenpot
tenpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggiejo September 11th 2021, 11:49 pm

I guess you’re right. I can’t find anything that looks like this jar that has a signature even remotely similar to the one this has. It could be Paris, Texas (which could explain the star) but that incised vessel seems so similar to the one on mine (though mine’s a one-handled pitcher). I don’t know, I’m stumped, but I’m going to keep searching….

Even in the photo below, it’s like the placement of the letters and the two-handled vessel - they just seem so similar…like maybe it could be an early version of the design Derval made, and attached only to his own work? It’s not like any of his later amazing mid-century pieces. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in such a gorgeous direction - I am enjoying learning about and looking at the many pieces of these three artists!French Pottery Art Deco?  Hand signed  D (backwards) and D pottery Paris 86af8010
Maggiejo
Maggiejo

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot September 12th 2021, 11:21 am

yes the D is like a derval pot I have , the early stuff from callis was pretty basic
tenpot
tenpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum