Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental???

4 posters

Go down

Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? Empty Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental???

Post by LEGSY August 30th 2021, 12:08 pm

After reading a good magazine letter i attended a local car boot sale today and found a tea bowl
as in the magazine article i believe it maybe an early piece as they are usually without a handle
but i am not up on pottery etc so unable to attribute but feel it maybe an oriental bowl??
The cobalt blue seems to be over glazed does this mean soft paste porcelain? would love to
get an idea of date and where it was made please thanks for looking!! 7.8 x 4.8 cm
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010129
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010131
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010130

Last edited by LEGSY on August 30th 2021, 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
LEGSY
LEGSY

Male Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2017-02-19

Back to top Go down

Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? Empty Re: Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental???

Post by LEGSY August 30th 2021, 12:09 pm

some more pictures of the inside and base of the bowl Shock Shock
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010132
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010134
Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? P1010133
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental??? Empty Re: Early oriental design Blue & White Tea Bowl??? English or Oriental???

Post by NaomiM August 30th 2021, 1:03 pm

I could be wrong but I think it's mid to late C18th Qianlong, but the Japanese and the West copied the Chinese and this feels more Japanese than Chinese. Shrugs

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcusborra August 30th 2021, 3:02 pm

Naomi you are not wrong. Late 18th century Chinese Qianlong export porcelain to Europe, the Japanese who could not compete with China were really not exporting to Europe around this time.
It is hand painted and appears to have a small hairline from the rim which was common on early Chinese porcelain.

Well spotted Legsy good find.
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by LEGSY August 31st 2021, 1:57 pm

Thanks both for the wonderful replies its amazing how were able to have these types of pieces that still turn up on a regular basis in the UK so many years after being made they must have literally been millions produced yet they can still be found for little money we can jump back in time to when tea was expensive ETC
Really appreciate the replies again Shock
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 31st 2021, 2:34 pm

I would have bought that - nice thing and very usable, well done.

Would it have come with cover and saucer or did some just come like that?
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum