Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone

4 posters

Go down

Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone  Empty Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone

Post by Roobarb June 29th 2021, 6:19 pm

Hello, I have this unusual piece that I'd like to ask for some help with, but not sure where / if there is somewhere to post it. I think it is carved stone...

Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone  Img_9414
Roobarb
Roobarb

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2020-07-03

Back to top Go down

Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone  Empty Re: Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone

Post by dantheman June 29th 2021, 7:10 pm

looks like soapstone carved in Asia

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone  Empty Re: Carved Stone ornament - Qingtian soapstone

Post by NaomiM June 29th 2021, 8:29 pm

Agreed. Possibly Thailand or China.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roobarb July 1st 2021, 11:11 am

Thank you both! :)
Roobarb
Roobarb

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2020-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanFordyce July 23rd 2021, 6:59 pm

I had two pieces like this. They were Chinese soapstone brush pots from late 1800s.
SeanFordyce
SeanFordyce

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2021-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 23rd 2021, 8:14 pm

There are visible tooling marks on this piece so I don’t think it’s that old.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanFordyce July 23rd 2021, 11:34 pm

This is likely to be Qingtian stone. They were made in Fuzhou up until the 1980s. It is a soft stone and I think tools were used quite early though as it was an export item. A similar question of age was raised at Antiquers.com. They determined that dating was impossible considering that the method of making these was unchanged over a long time (Question put to V&A Museum). Similar ones were made in the 18th century but those were of better stone than these ones and you certainly would not have the tooling before the late Qing (end of 1800s). Many of them, including mine, were much larger and ornate than yours. I believe that the height of the popularity of these may have been in the 1950s and 60s but they are still made today. If I were to guess at an age looking as closely as I can I would suggest that 50s-60s is likely given that it is less refined and rougher. The more recent and older ones were of a more refined design for more expensive tastes. All in my opinion of course.
SeanFordyce
SeanFordyce

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2021-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum