Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker?

+2
NaomiM
MCWebs
6 posters

Go down

Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? Empty Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker?

Post by HelenC June 23rd 2021, 8:26 pm

This fairly large wood-fired (I think)  jug dates back to mid 70s/80s and has no makers mark but is well made. Are there any tell-tale signs that might point to a maker? The combed decoration just below the rim is identical to a huge Svend Bayer pot I have, but the proportions otherwise don’t seem quite right.

All thoughts appreciated

Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? 0403af10
Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? 66da6210
Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? 7e739510
HelenC
HelenC

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2021-01-29

Back to top Go down

Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? Empty Re: Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker?

Post by MCWebs June 23rd 2021, 10:46 pm

classy jug a bit reminiscent of svend bayer imo
MCWebs
MCWebs

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2017-09-24

Back to top Go down

Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? Empty Re: Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker?

Post by NaomiM June 23rd 2021, 10:56 pm

Didn’t appear to be the same handle shape as Svend Bayer jugs

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC June 25th 2021, 5:00 pm

After much consideration, I think this is early  Svend Bayer. Here’s some comparisons with a jug I bought direct from Svend around 22 years ago, there are many stylistic similarities, particularly the confident tapering to a narrow base and the way the spout sits- it did come with a couple of other definite Svend Bayer pots in the box too! Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? B8b85510
Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? 9cbc7c10
Large wood-fired jug - any ideas as to maker? 3db86710
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman June 25th 2021, 5:30 pm

I thought it was by Svend, the second I saw it

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15454
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC June 25th 2021, 5:54 pm

Thanks - of course, that means I’ll have to keep it now as I could only sell it on as unmarked. What a shame 😁
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 25th 2021, 6:49 pm

Was it Charlie Collier who was making unmarked jugs in the “Svend Tradition”? They caused a lot of confusion at the time. Obviously well after this jug was made.

Last edited by NaomiM on June 25th 2021, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot June 25th 2021, 6:50 pm

Your last mark is quite revealing. You still have a scintilla of doubt?
That wavy line at the top of the jug which can be seen clearly in the first photo. Svend Bayer's production work was very spartan indeed. He made a point of giving no decoration. So that line would be unusual.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6529
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 25th 2021, 6:53 pm

Quite a distinctive swipe left and right at the bottom of your jug’s handle, which I’m not finding on Bayer’s pieces

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC June 25th 2021, 7:20 pm

Hi, the same wavy line is at the top of both pots, and while not identical in form it is identical in execution i.e. proportion of down to up stroke. The biggest pot is definitely by Svend, he helped me pick it out! 

I’m not expert enough to pass it off as definitely or even probably by Svend Bayer, but I’m happy to keep it in my collection and think of it as such.
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot June 25th 2021, 9:05 pm

Its a very nice jug. We were only having this debate the other day about potter's marks, and the problem with work that is not marked, or one does not know the mark. In the end it is all down to how you personally enjoy the piece.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6529
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC June 25th 2021, 9:15 pm

Thank you - to be honest the process of looking closely and carefully and thinking about what factors to consider when trying to identify unmarked pottery has been very useful and enjoyable, and I’ll probably be a little bit better at it next time!
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 30th 2021, 3:29 pm

I was watching some training videos of potters pulling handles awhile back. They fix the top and then let it dangle while deciding on how much curve to give it. Then some fix it at the bottom with a couple of swipes or more, while others 'punch' it in so there's no loss of thickness of the handle at the base. Svend seems to do the latter while the smaller jug seems to be the former, and it also has a distinctive finger or thumb swipe down the middle of the handle.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad June 30th 2021, 4:21 pm

HelenC wrote:Thank you - to be honest the process of looking closely and carefully and thinking about what factors to consider when trying to identify unmarked pottery has been very useful and enjoyable, and I’ll probably be a little bit better at it next time!

Sounds like you are doing ok as is Helen.
Beautiful pot.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum