Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark?

3 posters

Go down

Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark? Empty Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark?

Post by elifaz April 18th 2021, 10:46 am

Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark? 4cde6810
Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark? E76def10Hi all,

Does any my one recognise this potter? Have done many searches with different keywords but can’t seem to find anything.

Best,

Elisa
elifaz
elifaz

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2018-05-25

Back to top Go down

Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark? Empty Re: Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark?

Post by philpot April 18th 2021, 11:41 am

Taena pottery in Gloucestershire pottery have done a Cross mark for many years since Lewis Groves founded it in 1948. But its production is mainly slipware. Probably not a match, but its worth looking at.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark? Empty Re: Lustre ware Studio Pottery Dish with Circle X or t mark?

Post by elifaz April 19th 2021, 7:31 am

I agree, it’s very similar to the Taena mark. Will have a closer look to see if I can find any lustre ware examples and any variation to the mark.

elifaz
elifaz

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 19th 2021, 10:49 am

Not Taena Pottery, but I’m afraid I don’t have an alternative suggestion. There are 3 spur points on the base which points to an early to mid 20thC date.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by elifaz April 19th 2021, 10:57 am

Very interesting. I didn’t know that the spur marks were limited to early production. So are spurs no longer used in studio pottery? If not, are you suggesting that they were out of use by the the end of mid century? The piece does have crazing to the clear glaze on the back (although that is not always an indicator of age).
elifaz
elifaz

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 19th 2021, 11:18 am

There was a shift over to not using spurs to fire pots on by studio potters in the middle of the 20thC, although some studio potters do still use them if they’re glazing the base of the pot, and they are still used by students.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum