Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown

2 posters

Go down

Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown Empty Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown

Post by kd2021 February 22nd 2021, 7:04 pm

This Japanese/Okinawan tsurukubi, or crane necked, bud vase is 9.75" high x 3" at its widest. The vase is not signed but the tomobako has a lot of script on it that no one has been able to decipher. I bought this from a lady in Milwaukee whose father was stationed in Japan after WWII and whose uncle was stationed in Okinawa in the 1950s and 1960s. Both were collectors and she inherited their collections and is uncertain about which man owned this vase. The colors and shape just seemed very odd to me so I decided to add it to my pile, since it came with a tomobako. Maker unknown. Any input welcome.

Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown Bv110
Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown Bva12
kd2021
kd2021

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2021-02-16

Back to top Go down

Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown Empty Re: Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown

Post by studio-pots February 23rd 2021, 11:15 pm

It isn't like any type of Japanese pottery that I'm familiar with and I have being dealing in it for over 15 years.

I'm not suggesting that it isn't right, just that it might take much searching to find anything similar but, if you do, then you will be pretty close to an ID.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown Empty Re: Japanese crane neck vase, maker unknown

Post by kd2021 February 24th 2021, 12:34 am

Thanks studio-pots! I have seen quite a few similar shaped Japanese vases but the coloring is very odd. The provenance is pretty good that they are Japanese or Okinawan-Japanese.... It is a very popular shape in metal (bronze, copper or iron) as well.
kd2021
kd2021

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2021-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 25th 2021, 5:37 pm

I know the shape but, like you, think the coloring is odd.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum