DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone

3 posters

Go down

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Empty DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone

Post by Seal on a Rock February 8th 2021, 8:57 pm

Hi

Does anyone have any information about Dietrich Muckelstein who I believe was a German/Canadian artist who used to produce carvings 'in the Inuit style' for the tourist trade in the mid 20th century?

I've acquired a small bird carving and would love to know more about the person who made it, but the above is pretty much all I can find.  Personally, I think it looks more 'influenced by the style of' Inuit carving than 'in the style of', but I do like it.
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2020-12-19

Back to top Go down

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Empty Re: DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone

Post by studio-pots February 10th 2021, 6:15 pm

It would be helpful to see the carving that you have.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Empty Re: DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone

Post by NaomiM February 10th 2021, 7:04 pm

Looking at his style of work online, as luck would have it I have one of his pieces
I’m afraid I don’t know any more about him than is available online on old auction listings.

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  E5ba9010
DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  6d254d10

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  00c81810

Last edited by NaomiM on April 20th 2023, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock February 11th 2021, 6:10 pm

Oh wow, I have walrus envy (is that a thing?!)  That is so sweet!  Thanks for the reply.  It's sad that someone who produced such lovely items seems to have been largely forgotten.

@studio-pots I'll try to post a picture of mine later - I don't have a working camera on my laptop and no internet on my phone, so getting a photo to upload is tricky!
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock February 12th 2021, 5:19 pm

Ok, so I've done some more googling using the above info - most results referred to DIMU as being the mark of Dietrich Muckelstein, but I found one listing on EBAY that referred to him as Dieter Muckenheim, and claimed that he was taught to carve by Inuits while recovering from TB in hospital and that he sold his carvings out of his family's store in Parry Sound. And a little more googling uncovered this article.

https://www.parrysound.com/community-story/7340142-tradition-is-important-at-parry-sound-s-wolf-den-celebrating-50-years/
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 12th 2021, 5:47 pm

Interesting story.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock April 27th 2021, 9:47 pm

It's a bit late, but here is my DIMU bird along with a couple of other DIMU carvings that I have found since (the seal in front is not DIMU, just a random carving that lives with this group)DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  20210410
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 27th 2021, 10:51 pm

Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Empty inuit

Post by Seal on a Rock December 31st 2021, 7:25 pm

Here is my Inuit/Inuit style collection.  The big seal at the back is genuine Inuit, and I think the little grey bird just in front of it is also possibly genuine, but the others are definitely 'in the style of'.DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  20211210
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 9th 2024, 12:34 am

DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Img_3234
DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Img_3123
DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Img_3124
DIMU - Dietrich Muckelstein - Inuit style carved soapstone  Img_3235

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock February 9th 2024, 9:38 am

That's lovely!
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum