John Christian Studio Pottery collection - Shipley Art Gallery

2 posters

Go down

John Christian Studio Pottery collection - Shipley Art Gallery Empty John Christian Studio Pottery collection - Shipley Art Gallery

Post by studio-pots January 28th 2021, 8:58 am

I only just found out about this through a post that "philpot" put under the "John Ward" thread but it will be a very interesting addition to the nation's studio pottery collections.

I know that the Shipley Art Gallery had been left around 300 pots by Henry Rothschild, the founder of Primavera in 1946. For those who don't know, this was a gallery originally opened in Sloane Street in London to show and sell "the best things whether hand or machine made” and a beacon for craft and design in the austere Post-War Britain.

John Christian was an academic and art historian, who worked at Christie's in London for as long as I knew him. He was a regular customer of mine and attended perhaps more of my exhibitions that anyone else.
In fact it was a mystery when he didn't turn up at the last exhibition that I held in Mayfair, as I had been around to his new house just a couple of weeks before, to deliver a pot and see the collection in its new home.

Shortly, afterwards I heard that he had died soon after having a massive stroke.

Here's a link to an article in the local paper in May 2019.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/shipley-art-gallery-just-taken-16308252

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

John Christian Studio Pottery collection - Shipley Art Gallery Empty Re: John Christian Studio Pottery collection - Shipley Art Gallery

Post by philpot January 30th 2021, 5:44 pm

There is a online Zoom lecture/symposium on the John Christian collection on 2 February via Zoom. You can register by going to the Shipley Art gallery site and scrolling down. I have just done so. It sounds interesting.  Apparently the John Christian collection was given in lieu of Taxes.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum