Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese

2 posters

Go down

Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese Empty Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese

Post by Nianlou December 15th 2020, 10:54 pm

Hello pottery forum readers. I recently bought this teapot in the shape of a cat. Up till now I could not find out from who the mark is. Mark is two birds, most probably two doves. Can some one tell me more about this teapot? Make, year?

Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese Teapot10
Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese Onderk10

Nianlou
Nianlou

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-12-15

Back to top Go down

Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese Empty Re: Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese

Post by NaomiM December 16th 2020, 1:44 am

Certainly Chinese or Japanese; I see a lot of Japanese ones in the U.K. stamped Foreign or Japan, and dating from the 1950s onwards, but not seen this mark before.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese Empty Re: Teapot 'cat with bow' most probably Japanese

Post by Nianlou December 16th 2020, 1:51 am

NaomiM Thank you for your reply. What makes you say certainly Chinese or Japanese?
Nianlou
Nianlou

Back to top Go down

Post by Nianlou December 16th 2020, 1:59 am

It also has a small hole in the left ear. I think maybe for a chain to hold the lid from falling.
Nianlou
Nianlou

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 16th 2020, 8:31 pm

The orange colour of the bow is very Japanese, and all the ones I’ve seen have been Japanese from the latter half of the 20thC , but this might be earlier and there was a lot of crossover (copying) between Japan and China. But Japanese pottery has more humour in it, so I think on balance Japan is more likely

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum