Need help identifying this Japanese mark

3 posters

Go down

Need help identifying this Japanese mark Empty Need help identifying this Japanese mark

Post by Scotty October 18th 2020, 1:07 am

I have a pair of duck planters like this and I am trying to find out what pottery mark this is????Need help identifying this Japanese mark Japan_10
Need help identifying this Japanese mark Japan_11
Scotty
Scotty

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-10-15

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this Japanese mark Empty Re: Need help identifying this Japanese mark

Post by NaomiM October 18th 2020, 2:19 am

You might find it on here

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this Japanese mark Empty Re: Need help identifying this Japanese mark

Post by Scotty October 19th 2020, 6:13 am

Thank you NaomiM !!!! I didn't see the mark on this page but it is a nice reference page to bookmark...
Scotty
Scotty

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2020, 9:20 am

Very much a long shot but I’m wondering if Japan is a design name rather than the country of origin.
I deleted your other post because the other groups are just for identified pottery and visitors to them will have searched for a specific item.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 19th 2020, 1:28 pm

There is a Japanese company called Ota Giri that makes this majolica-style of pottery. I've no idea if this is their's but it's very similar to pieces I've seen.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2020, 1:56 pm

Otagiri normally used as label as I believe they turned to commissioning pieces for retail sales rather than making them.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 19th 2020, 4:45 pm

There's a piece on etsy with an identical mark. It's modelled as a seated Mexican man having his siesta and has a bowl joined to his side. I found it using the search "horseshoe pottery mark japan". It's described as being from the1940s but there are no clues to a maker. The listing is from the USA, and as Scotty is also in America the stamp could be an American retailer's logo with 'Japan' as the country of origin, perhaps.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Scotty October 19th 2020, 6:02 pm

I don't think it is Otagiri or OMC. I have bought a few of those pieces before and they are either clearly stamped or had a OMC sticker on them. All the Otagiri pieces I have seen have not had this horse shoe mark on them. I did find this piece (actually its a pair) in the Phoenix Scottsdale area of Arizona. I saw a couple of pieces on ebay and etsy with the same mark but those post didn't have a name for the manufacturer either. The search continues....
Scotty
Scotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum