Uranium glass candle holders

2 posters

Go down

Uranium glass candle holders Empty Uranium glass candle holders

Post by SpoonLicker August 23rd 2020, 12:38 pm

Anyone recognise these uranium glass candle holders? The bottom is brass that someone has painted with cream paint. I don't know if it was originally painted or enamelled underneath but I can see brass where the paint is chipped. The bottoms are shiny silver metal. The two parts don't come apart.

Uranium glass candle holders Img_2114
Uranium glass candle holders Img_2113
Uranium glass candle holders Img_2112
SpoonLicker
SpoonLicker

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2017-01-30

Back to top Go down

Uranium glass candle holders Empty Re: Uranium glass candle holders

Post by Grumpy Grandad August 23rd 2020, 7:47 pm

Looking at the differences where the glass meets the metal I'd guess that what you hhave is what used to be a pair of uranium candlesticks, one of which got broken so somebody has cut the stems of both and attached the bowls to the bases with a strong adhesive.
If they were mine, if the bases are enamel (hard, glassy, cold to the touch) I'd freshen them up with a fresh coat of enamel paint. If it's paint, however, I'd strip it off back to the brass.
If they're to be sold, however, it would be best to leave them as is. For some God-forsaken reason the distressed 'shabby chic' look sells very well. No accounting for taste and each to their own, as they say.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SpoonLicker August 23rd 2020, 8:14 pm

Well one of them is really shabby now. I dropped it and it shattered all over the floor!

I dont think they were/are a marriage though as there was a similarly designed pot with them.
SpoonLicker
SpoonLicker

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad August 24th 2020, 12:04 am

Looking more closely it appears that the bases were painted and whoever did it painted over quite a lot of the glass on the one on the left (top photo), so the bowls weren't so different as I thought at first.
Brass and uranium glass is a combination I've never seen used before, and I think they'd have looked a lot better before the paint job. Such a shame you've smashed one, but if you've still got the pieces it might be interesting to prise the bottom plate out and see if there's a foundary mark on the inside of the brass.
I take it you didn't get the pot as well. Was the glass ribbed like the drip-catchers or straight-sided like the inner candle holders?
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SpoonLicker August 24th 2020, 7:02 pm

I've stripped a patch on the base of the broken one. It's got a smooth matt gold/brass finish underneath the cream gloss paint.
I didn't get the pot cos it looked like too much work hut now I've broken a candle holder i might get the bowl now if i see it next week, just to have a pair.
SpoonLicker
SpoonLicker

Back to top Go down

Post by SpoonLicker August 24th 2020, 7:04 pm

There is a bit of silver showing too so it might have been chromed brass at one point. That would make more sense design-wise.
SpoonLicker
SpoonLicker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum