miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark

2 posters

Go down

miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark Empty miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark

Post by benwilliams May 7th 2020, 12:02 pm

2” long porcelain figurine.
I hoped it was 1800 but I’ve been told the gold is wrong and the cherub’s eyes are kitschy!
So 1930? Or 1800? Any idea on a maker? Gold bow and arrow mark.
Probably frightfully out of fashion if it was 1800 anyway.
miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark 660a6a10
miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark D5566f10
miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark 47ed0210
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark Empty Re: miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark

Post by benwilliams May 7th 2020, 12:03 pm

miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark 36d86b10
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark Empty Re: miniature porcelain cherub with lamb, bow arrow mark

Post by Doughboy May 7th 2020, 2:26 pm

Hi, as with most puzzles you have to look at all of the pieces to make up a picture and whoever told you the gold was wrong and the eyes look 'kitschy' was absolutely correct. The gold 'bow and arrow' is also wrong as is the general look, glaze, underside and quality.
Sorry!
What you have here is a far east very modern attempted fake of a well known Chelsea-Derby period porcelain figurine c.1750 - c.1800. As the modern ones are so concerned about churning them out a lot gets lost in translation including the mark which is, on yours, a mix of the Chelsea gold anchor mark and the Derby arrow mark, a mark that never existed.
That said it is still a decorative little item!
Doughboy
Doughboy

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2018-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams May 7th 2020, 3:23 pm

Thank you! I haven’t spent enough time in proper antiques places to have got to handle many genuine 18th C porcelain pieces. I shall see if I can find someone who likes cherubs and sheep!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum