benwilliams
Grumpy Grandad
22 Crawford St.
7 posters

Go down

Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 Empty Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1

Post by benwilliams May 5th 2020, 2:35 pm

Long nosed Mickey Mouse.
15 cm long dark green ceramic ashtray, only Mark is 1 on base.
Any ideas on date and maker?
Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 2fd61d10
Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 Cf193310
Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 F4551f10
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 Empty Re: Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 5th 2020, 8:36 pm

I'm not convinced it's mickey. Certainly has that pre war 30s 40s feel and not British. German? Continental? and if you call this a 'dish' I'll shoot you. Had two people insist recently that items sire dishes ---when they are clearly ashtrays.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1 Empty Re: Green Mickey Mouse ashtray, marked 1

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 5th 2020, 11:37 pm

Definitely an ashtray, it has the grooves for the cigarettes to rest on. I'm not convinced it's Mickey, either, more Mickey-ish, just different enough not to infringe Disney copyright while being close enough to pass at a glance. If was a genuine Disney-licensed Mickey it would almost certainly have that information on the base. It would also be painted in Mickey's usual colours.
I'd go with German, pre WWII.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams May 6th 2020, 4:53 pm

Thank you. Mickeyish and possibly German. I’m happy with that for my nibbles bowl! Yes clearly an ashtray.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn May 9th 2020, 11:01 pm

Here he is paired with an elephant they called Dumbo, but I don't think his ears are big enough:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-walt-disney-mickey-mouse-1774556126
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad May 10th 2020, 4:17 am

He'd never fly with those tiny flappers.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams May 10th 2020, 7:14 am

Interesting to see the elephant one. Thank you Janetpjohn
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 10th 2020, 10:40 am

benwilliams wrote:Thank you. Mickeyish and possibly German. I’m happy with that for my nibbles bowl! Yes clearly an ashtray.

For copyright reason much pottery over the years has been made to "resemble" but not too closely.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Doughboy May 11th 2020, 10:44 am

22 Crawford St. wrote: if you call this a 'dish' I'll shoot you. Had two people insist recently that items sire dishes ---when they are clearly ashtrays.

IF you are referring to me and my John Bew Odney pottery dish then you are 'clearly' wrong.
Unless an item is made with the definite indentations to hold or rest a cigarette or associated advertising then it is a dish. If someone decides to use that dish as an ashtray then it is still a dish which is being used as an ashtray.
'Pin dish' is a generic term used in the trade for any small shallow dish of which use cannot immediately be identified by lack of certain characteristics.
Doughboy
Doughboy

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2018-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 11th 2020, 6:16 pm

IF you are referring to me and my John Bew Odney pottery dish then you are 'clearly' wrong.

No I wasn't
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 12th 2020, 8:14 am

Cheapo mass produced 1930's European Tourist tat/seaside souvenir rip-off of disney characters designed in form to have as wide and vague appeal as possible. Ashtray, bon-bon dish, pinholder, mickey wishing well..whatever Laughter
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6395
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum