Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots

3 posters

Go down

Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots Empty Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots

Post by NaomiM Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 pm

Possibly inscribed A&A

Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots 15a41b10
Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots 88738310
Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots 9f98e410
Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots 326d2c10
Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots E500e010

Last edited by NaomiM on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31485
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots Empty Re: Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots

Post by Grumpy Grandad Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:02 am

That's an odd one. The poem looks like it was written using a wax crayon by a young hand, maybe 12-13 yrs-old, as does the hare, yet it is on a well-made pot. Could it be a parent-child collaboration, do you think? That would make sense of the A&A.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots Empty Re: Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots

Post by dantheman Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 am

I disagree, the hare is deliberately positioned and fits the jug beautifully, this would take experience and skill

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 am

It’s a vintage piece bought by my father, probably in Wales.
Maybe signed Bea or A&A or B&A

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm

dantheman wrote:I disagree, the hare is deliberately positioned and fits the jug beautifully, this would take experience and skill

I'm not denigrating the jug, Dan, I think it's lovely. I just don't think that the handwriting is that of an adult. I could see a potter guiding a younger hand and maybe drawing the outline of the hare.
I'd give it houseroom, anyway (not that that's any guide; you've seen some of my own pieces  Big Laughter   )
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm

There are a number of dyslexic potters out there :) but I think this is by an adult; maybe one more used to writing in script. Writing on pottery isn’t easy; the surface isn’t that smooth and there are the curves of the jug. The lines of prose are nicely lined up and the letters are a consistent size.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Hare jug & Ralph Hodgson poem - cf. Charlie Clarke, Little Earthquake Pots Empty Rowan Fawdon of Ash Tree Pottery?

Post by NaomiM Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:43 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s by the same person who made these; they would have been found in the same area

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t21210-green-pottery-tankard-cf-mrs-d-g-bonelle-crafts-of-britain-monmouth

Another possibility is Rowan Fawdon of Ash Tree Pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum