Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi

2 posters

Go down

Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Empty Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi

Post by seandux February 15th 2020, 2:26 pm

Hi.  Hope someone can help to id this vase.  Found in the North West of England I immediately though Italian when I found it but the base is marked FOREIGN not ITALY as I expected.  I have done plenty of research and have been led to believe that like mid-1950's German ceramics which were quite often marked FOREIGN, Italian ceramics of the same period also did the same.  I've also found similar vases that have been attributed to Volpi with similar designs (see https://afterglowretro.com/tag/serafino-volpi/)  but according to Mark Hill's excellent reference book Alla Moda, Volpi's designs were widely copied from the 1950's to the 1970's.  So if anyone can help calrify the origin of this vase it would be much appreciated.

It measures 15.5 cm in height x 9 cm in diameter at the widest point (across the centre of the body) and weighs just under 390 gms.

Any help would be much appreciated.Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Deruta12
Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Deruta10
Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Deruta11
Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Deruta13
Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Deruta14
seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Empty Re: Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi

Post by NaomiM February 15th 2020, 2:38 pm

Ive come across a very similar one on an Italian collector’s group. a bit more colourful and with a blue interior, and also signed Foreign and numbered. The consensus was it was probably by Volpi. Unfortunately many Italian Ceramics manufacturer’s records were lost in the late 20thC  so we can never be 100% certain. But if the collectors are fine with the attribution then there shouldn’t be a problem

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi Empty Re: Can any help with this Italian(?) mid-century vase - maybe Serafino Volpi

Post by seandux February 15th 2020, 2:48 pm

Thanks. I find Italian ceramics are always difficult to definately assign and it really helps when you can get concensus. I've been trying to compare the style of the numbers with other known Volpi marks and there is definately a similarity. So maybe when I describe it it will be something along the lines of possibly by Serafino Volpi
seandux
seandux

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 15th 2020, 3:18 pm

I write “believed to be by” as that leaves some doubt if they want to do their own research

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by seandux February 15th 2020, 3:30 pm

Nice wording - thanks
seandux
seandux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum