USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark

3 posters

Go down

USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark Empty USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark

Post by Livvia February 1st 2020, 2:42 am

Hello, I'm looking for some help with this pot. It stands just under 12" and 7½” wide. There are two marks, one is an impressed stamp that almost looks like a bullseye. There is also two finger indentations on the bottom rim that may also help in identifying the maker. I think it's Japanese or Japanese inspired Bizen ware. Thoughts?

USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark A10
USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark B13
USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark C10
Livvia
Livvia

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2019-03-13

Back to top Go down

USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark Empty Re: USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark

Post by philpot February 1st 2020, 8:51 am

It looks somewhat more like a spiral to me. Perhaps a search for American studio potters with that theme might help. Personally I would not be too happy with that base. with such chunks out of it.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6399
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark Empty Re: USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark

Post by NaomiM February 1st 2020, 3:05 pm

Looks like a shino glaze with ash round the neck. I searched for spirals on The Marks Project website but unfortunately nothing similiar came up
https://www.themarksproject.org/search-marks?field_mark_image_type_value=All&mark_text=&field_mark_shape_value%5B%5D=sprial

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31503
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Livvia February 1st 2020, 8:29 pm

Here is another photo of the circle mark. Regarding earlier comment about "chunks missing" there isn't anything cut away or removed from the base but rather finger indentations that create a pleasant soft wave along the bottom rim. It doesn't affect the balance or stability. I've attached additional views of that too just because its somewhat misleading from the first photos attached. Thanks to everyone that's taken a gander at this.
USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark 114
USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark 216
USA studio, Bizen Style Bottle Jar Impressed Circles "Bullseye" O Mark 315
Livvia
Livvia

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2019-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum