No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this?

3 posters

Go down

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Empty No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this?

Post by MrTeapot December 23rd 2019, 11:56 am

I found this item - what looks to be a terracotta (or similar) teapot - at a boot fair a couple of years ago.

At the time I thought it might be some sort of Mexican/central American thing. Then someone suggested Asian.

It's not about value - it has none - but once I got this thing home I quickly realised I had NO idea what to search for, beyond "teapot", as I don't know what the beasts are, which culture made it, or indeed whether it's anything more than a made up tourist item.

So, any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

It's terracotta or similar (a red, fired clay or biscuit I don't know), has a glaze on it. The lid is removable, so looks as if it was intended for use. Overall height 8.5 inches, overall width 8 inches. If the one photo isn't clear enough am happy to take further :)

Thank you

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Teapot10
MrTeapot
MrTeapot

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2019-12-23

Back to top Go down

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Empty Re: No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this?

Post by NaomiM December 23rd 2019, 12:08 pm

It looks oriental or Middle Eastern to me. It would help to have a photo of the underside to check the clay and construction for clues as to its origin.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Empty Re: No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this?

Post by MrTeapot December 23rd 2019, 12:18 pm

Ooh, thank you. That was quick! Happy

Two pics here: one of underside as requested, one showing the type of pattern used around the base of the lid - perhaps that may help locate it.

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Base_e10

No marks, not British, can anyone please tell me where or who made this? Decor_10
MrTeapot
MrTeapot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 23rd 2019, 1:12 pm

I think it’s stoneware rather than terracotta, but it’s certainly a mystery piece. I’m leaning towards Thailand with Siam motifs

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MrTeapot December 23rd 2019, 4:02 pm

Fascinating, thank you.

Are you able to say anything about/take an educated guess about age? Is it newly made? Is it copying anything historical, in design or motifs? Is the overall kind of vessel something recognisable, or is the entire thing a piece of fiction?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never been able to find out a single thing about it until now.
MrTeapot
MrTeapot

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton December 23rd 2019, 4:40 pm

Camel!!!
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrTeapot December 23rd 2019, 4:43 pm

Aha! I see that now.
MrTeapot
MrTeapot

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton December 23rd 2019, 4:48 pm

I would go North Africa Tunisian souk
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrTeapot December 23rd 2019, 5:00 pm

Superb, thank you! Makes sense - I live in southwest France, there's plenty of connections with North Africa here.
MrTeapot
MrTeapot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 23rd 2019, 7:02 pm

olipayton wrote:Camel !!!

Lol! I was seeing a dragon or tiger :D

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum