Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots

5 posters

Go down

Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots Empty Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots

Post by lindylou08 December 3rd 2019, 3:57 pm

Apologies if this a repeat request, think I posted it in the wrong area

I found these recently but have no knowledge whatever about them although assuming they are Chinese
Tiny cups in box with calligraphy on lid. Impressed mark.
Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks
Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots _2019125Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots _2019129Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots _2019130
lindylou08
lindylou08

Female Number of posts : 655
Registration date : 2012-11-09

Back to top Go down

Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots Empty Re: Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots

Post by NaomiM December 3rd 2019, 7:03 pm

If you originally posted it in the Far Eastern group then it won’t have been noticed. The ID my pottery section is for all ID requests . The other groups are for reference purposes; for items that have been IDed

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots Empty Re: Apologies if repeat request for info on? Chinese pots

Post by lindylou08 December 3rd 2019, 8:35 pm

OK thanks and sorry. I did put it on ID my pottery but no response so thought it was wrong place!
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn December 6th 2019, 7:39 pm

They look like sake cups in gift boxes. Japanese.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 December 6th 2019, 8:01 pm

Yes looking again they could be Japanese!
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 6th 2019, 8:50 pm

They are Japanese and the wooden boxes are used by Japanese potters commonly. Most Japanese art objects are no displayed in the home but are kept in wooden boxes such as this and got out to be used or shown to visitors. I do not recognise the style and so cannot say which potter area they originate from.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 December 6th 2019, 8:53 pm

Thanks studio
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 6th 2019, 9:00 pm

The first time that I photographed the wooden lid of the Japanese box I got it upside down but you made the right choice.

If you can find someone that reads Japanese then they might be able to understand what the lid says.

The red mark (top right) is the kiln seal. Next to it is usually where it was made. The calligraphy next to it tells you that it is a sake cup (guinomi).

Then on the right is the potter's name and the red seal (bottom right) is the potter's box seal, which, as in this case, is not always the same as the impressed seal on the pot.

Japanese calligraphy is not as easy to read even for a native Japanese speaker as it would be for you and I to read English and then you have the handwriting problem too.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou08 December 6th 2019, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Now to find a Japanese translator!
lindylou08
lindylou08

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump December 7th 2019, 12:23 am

It looks to be an extremely well potted and glazed guinomi.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7339
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum