A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY

2 posters

Go down

A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Empty A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY

Post by Beege November 12th 2019, 5:24 pm

Hallo all.
This plate has an interesting, almost child-like design of a stylised duck. The ceramic looks old to my amateur eye.
The marking on the back is quite light and I've enhanced the image to make it more readable. It looks like a fish mark but I was unable to find this in Fournier...so maybe its more international.
Does anybody recognise the mark/maker?
Thank you.
Jack.

A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Duck_110
A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Duck_112
A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Duck_111
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Empty Re: A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 12th 2019, 7:06 pm

Ahh now if that is real then it's very nice.

Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY.

You need to speak with Walter

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY Empty Re: A Stylised Duck on an old plate - Fish mark - Vietri Germn period ICS ITALY

Post by Beege November 12th 2019, 7:16 pm

Hi '32 Crawford St'.
Thank you for the speedy response...most kind.
Excuse my ignorance, but who is Walter?
Jack
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 12th 2019, 7:37 pm

Sorry on phone before.

The question is, is it early or a later piece or copy? And if it's good if he can help you with a name then it will increase it's value.

Read this.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/italianpotterymarks/i-c-s-industria-ceramica-salernitana-1927-1940-t126.html

On the same forum there is an ID thread, The site belongs to Walter Del Pellegrino

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/italianpotterymarks/
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 12th 2019, 8:10 pm

This is fascinating, thank you for the information.
I have read the article and sadly, like all scarce objects, there appears to be an issue with fakery; so I need to establish how genuine this plate is. I'll register on Walter's site and see what he has to say.
Again, thank you '22 Crawford St' for pointing me in the right direction.
Jack.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 12th 2019, 11:54 pm

Hi '22 Crawford St'.
Sadly Walter Del Pellegrino died on 8 August.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 13th 2019, 7:50 pm

Ohh, really sorry to hear that. Walter absolutely LOVED Italian ceramics and gave his valuable opinion freely. He was a gentleman like many on this forum he lived ceramics. Sad to hear he's gone.

On the plate I was going to say that I think it's good, not a fake, but it may be a later piece. Very hard to be certain now. The other marks intrigue me. The pen marks look perhaps like a catalogue no. from a big collection? Perhaps Naomi can help? Also the A under the ICS may be an artist mark.

It's not a giant religious icon but a small side plate. However if you can put a name like Studemann, Kowalski, Hannasch, Dolker, then I would give you money for that little plate as anything by them is very hard to find.

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 13th 2019, 8:30 pm

You're so right '22 Crawford St', I read many of Walter's missives and realise his generosity. Also, so many wrote kind, gentle things to his wife, who misses her soulmate. Very sad.

With regards to the plate: I was going to ask how one dates these plates but you've pre-empted my question as clearly identify the artist would date the plate. One plate I saw on the net (see link below), suggests the VG mark was probably from the artists Gambone. If this is accurate, does not the mark on my plate match?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-s-pottery-bird-plate-italy-1747834449

It seems a little large for a side plate, but maybe it differs in Italy. I've noticed there is a small chip on the rim which is not visible from the front. Happy to discuss further.

Thank you.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 13th 2019, 8:51 pm

OK that link is spot on. Clearly your plate is from one of those sets. However I can't comment on the attribution. You will have to check that one out. Sometimes people ant to attribute to Gambone as it was his first palace of work and he's the big name they know..

You may hit a brick wall. Much of the info and book is not in English. This period is highly collectable in Italy but sadly very little know in the UK
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 14th 2019, 7:27 am

Thanks for this. I've ordered a copy of Walter's 'Italian Pottery Marks From Cantagalli To Fornasetti , which may help 'clue me in' to who the artists was for this plate. I'll update once I've researched a little.'
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 23rd 2019, 10:35 am

Good morning (22 Crawford St).
Just an update on this plate. It has proven, as you probably suspected, quite difficult to ascertain much detailed information on the artist. I purchased Walter Del Pellegrino's book which though most helpful in identifying a number of Italian pottery marks, does not delve into the detail of ICS and the artists. Equally, having left a query on Walter's site (the link you kindly provided), I have yet to receive any input with regards to the possible artist: this may be owing to Walter's sad death earlier this year.
Clearly ICS is a highly regarded and collected pottery in Italy: indeed Walter himself wrote "Without doubt, the most important, the most collectible, the most expensive and the most forged mark of all the twentieth century ceramic art studios of Campania." Nonetheless, I struggle to garner detailed information; so if you have any further ideas, I should be delighted to hear from you.
Regards
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 23rd 2019, 1:00 pm

Beege unfortunately Walter was the driving force behind the website, I fear that without him it will be no more. He was your very best chance of easily finding out more. I would take the view that the God of Pots wanted you to be aware of this fabulous period of design. It's a overlooked period here in the UK. Keep your eves open for more ICS CAS MACS Gambone etc
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege November 29th 2019, 7:28 pm

Hi '22Crawford St'...I have an update.
I received a response on Walter's site: Mauro Biliotti, who I've noticed on many of the discussions, provided me with some information. He believes the design on my plate is by Richard Dolker and was probably painted by an ICS decorator - he is confident this was made in the 1930s.
So, all in all, I think this plate has now been identified, as you suggested, as from the Vietri German period ICS ITALY. Thoughts?
Jack.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 29th 2019, 7:55 pm

Interesting. If I was selling it I would quote Mauro, perhaps check with him that he's OK you use his name. Definitely put Dolker design in the title also. Be aware that you probably need to offer international postage.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum