MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein?

2 posters

Go down

MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Empty MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein?

Post by ClaraIreland2 September 23rd 2019, 11:06 am

I found these 2 tactile and visually appealing bowls in East Devon recently. The BISPM website has a photograph of the above Potter's mark suggest they are by Ms Rothstein. Only one bowl is signed. Your assistance is much appreciated, thank you

MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Dscn8312
MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Dscn8311
MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Dscn8310
ClaraIreland2
ClaraIreland2

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Empty Re: MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein?

Post by NaomiM September 23rd 2019, 11:18 am

I’m seeing HEG rather than MER or MEK, and it seems to be incised or at least indented, rather than a stamp.
The Maureen Rothstein mark below for comparison. Unfortunately there are no examples of her work, but it looks like a different clay so I think it’s unlikely to be by her, imo . (The Marks book says she used MER and MEK before and after marriage).

MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? 20095a10

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31544
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein? Empty Re: MEK or MER mark? - Maureen E Koppenhagen-Rothstein?

Post by ClaraIreland2 October 3rd 2019, 4:39 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. I understand what you mean about the marks. I did study them hard and yes they are hand written and not a stamp. I think the first letter is M because I believe it was written in one movement upwards to top of first stroke, then down, back up then down for last stroke, if that makes sense (rather 2 perpendicular strokes with horizontal cross). I had looked everywhere to see examples of Maureen Rothstein's work but as you say difficult to find.

Thanks for your invaluable advice as always.
ClaraIreland2
ClaraIreland2

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum