identify potter please - possibly Japanese

2 posters

Go down

identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Empty identify potter please - possibly Japanese

Post by Smithy August 28th 2019, 1:17 pm

Hi Guys, anyone have any ideas about who may have thrown this pot?  Its 30cms tall and appears to have a tenmoku style glaze inside.  The mark on the bottom has been added after firing as it flakes of as though it was added by a marker pen?  Stunning vase just interested as had it a while.

cheers
identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Img_1910
identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Img_1912
identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Img_1911
identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Img_1913
Smithy
Smithy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-08-14

Back to top Go down

identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Empty Re: identify potter please - possibly Japanese

Post by NaomiM August 28th 2019, 2:26 pm

I think the mark may have been stamped ‘Foreign’ or a retailer’s code. The form looks Asian.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

identify potter please - possibly Japanese  Empty Re: identify potter please - possibly Japanese

Post by Smithy August 28th 2019, 2:44 pm

I have always thought Japanese arita ware but the base its just wrong for this, hence my confusion. The mark on the base could be a retailers mark, but flakes off as soon as you touch it, too many ketters and ends Ey. n its a beautiful piece and the crazing is a typical for arita ware . It has always had me stumped.
Smithy
Smithy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 28th 2019, 6:16 pm

It could be Japanese; maybe retailed through Otagiri in the department stores and bearing one of their gold labels

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum