1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON

+3
artcollector
studio-pots
Leach54321
7 posters

Go down

1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON Empty 1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON

Post by Leach54321 August 22nd 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi - I have this wonderful painting which is simply signed GORDON '62 - I am guessing Gordon is a surname and I think this art is of a high quality so would expect it to be a known artist but cannot seem to trace who this is - can anyone help please?
1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON Img_0519
1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON Img_0518
Leach54321
Leach54321

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2018-03-19

Back to top Go down

1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON Empty Re: 1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON

Post by studio-pots September 18th 2019, 5:49 pm

I would have bought that without even thinking I might found out who Gordon was. What part of the country did you find it? I ask because there are a number of people with that surname that were known artists, although not very famous.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON Empty Re: 1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON

Post by Netherthorpe September 18th 2019, 9:51 pm

It's a long shot, but the name Gordon caught my eye.  I'm no expert on artists (just a forner student with a memory for faces and names!), but used to know one painter of that name, and so far can't rule him out.  An art school friend of mine happened to marry an Australian painter called Jeremy Gordon in the late 60s. He'd moved to London in the early 60s to continue his art education, and was there until about 1969, when they moved to Australia.  Last I heard he was still alive and painting, and he appears in some exhibition lists there, though it's hard to get a handle on who's successful (the workings of the art market there appear to differ from Europe and the US). Googling the name plus painter and Australia brings up a page about him, but with only a few recent paintings shown (part of a gallery's website I think).  Your painting's in a very different style, but artists can go through a lot of phases in 50 years or so!

Whoever painted it,, I'd have snapped it up like a shot if I'd spotted it (and I could afford it)!  It struck me immediately as a good painting, and a fine example of the aesthetic of those times (and especially of what some people could do with simple shapes and a limited palette).  I think it was done at some speed, which is often a sign of long experience, but can equally be prompted by time constraints at college. And there's a lot of student work out there. I don't know if it's still the case, but people in those days didn't keep their work for long; with the fast development art school enables.  Most of it got hurled at the bin, given away, or sometimes even sold. (Even without moving house, let alone to Australia!).

Have you tried an image match search on the signature?  Or, failing that, the whole thing? The latter takes more time and patience (depending on what aspect of it gets picked up!).
Netherthorpe
Netherthorpe

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2016-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 15th 2020, 5:19 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum.
I also have a painting very similar style to the one shown here and also signed "Gordon 62". I would love to know anything about the artist.
As a newbie can't seem to post a picture. But if you have any information please either post or send my a PM. Many thanks.
artcollector
artcollector

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Netherthorpe March 15th 2020, 9:25 pm

I don't know any more than I did before, I'm afraid. I've been meaning to ask the abovementioned Maureen about the first painting, as we're still in touch. I'm very busy here for the next week or two, but will try after that. She might be able to put me in touch with her Gordon to ask directly (I don't know - think they live separately now).

If it does turn out possible to check the first painting that way, I could easily add yours. I can't remember the method of posting images offhand, but there are instructions here somewhere - via the forum list perhaps. I have a note of them somewhere, but finding them is pot luck at the moment.

I've just remembered something about not being able to post photos immediately after registering - if that's so, it'll be explained somewhere here too.
Netherthorpe
Netherthorpe

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2016-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 16th 2020, 2:42 pm

Netherthorpe wrote:I don't know any more than I did before, I'm afraid.  I've been meaning to ask the abovementioned Maureen about the first painting, as we're still in touch.  I'm very busy here for the next week or two, but will try after that.  She might be able to put me in touch with her Gordon to ask directly (I don't know - think they live separately now).

If it does turn out possible to check the first painting that way, I could  easily add yours.  I can't remember the method of posting images offhand, but there are instructions here somewhere - via the forum list perhaps.  I have a note of them somewhere, but finding them is pot luck at the moment.

I've just remembered something about not being able to post photos immediately after registering - if that's so, it'll be explained somewhere here too.

Thank you very much Netherthorpe, that's very kind of you. I did look up Jeremy Gordon, as you say his style is very different and he signs his work as Jeremy but then in 50 years a lot can change styles, signatures. I am grateful to you for taking time to look into it. Much appreciated. And I will look into how to add photographs to the page.
artcollector
artcollector

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 16th 2020, 7:26 pm

Thank you once again Netherthorpe.  Here are photos of the art work. Hopefully someone might recognise something.
I had the take the photo at an angle because of horrible glare.

1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON 20200311
1960s ABSTRACT PAINTING SIGNED GORDON 20200310
artcollector
artcollector

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad March 17th 2020, 12:13 am

Are you sure it's the same Gordon? Although the initial 'G' is similar, the bottom picture is signed in all-caps, the top one has only the 'G' capitalised. Also, the numbers for the date are formed differently.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 17th 2020, 10:21 am

Grumpy Grandad wrote:Are you sure it's the same Gordon? Although the initial 'G' is similar, the bottom picture is signed in all-caps, the top one has only the 'G' capitalised. Also, the numbers for the date are formed differently.

I am not 100% sure no, but the 'G' of Gordon looks very similar and the style of the two pieces is the same to me.
artcollector
artcollector

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot March 17th 2020, 6:20 pm

surely the same two gordons with that style signatures often vary
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 19th 2020, 12:05 pm

studio-pots wrote:I would have bought that without even thinking I might found out who Gordon was. What part of the country did you find it? I ask because there are a number of people with that surname that were known artists, although not very famous.

I asked this question 6 months ago and never received a reply. Can either or both of the people that own these paintings give me an answer?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 19th 2020, 3:41 pm

studio-pots wrote:
studio-pots wrote:I would have bought that without even thinking I might found out who Gordon was. What part of the country did you find it? I ask because there are a number of people with that surname that were known artists, although not very famous.

I asked this question 6 months ago and never received a reply. Can either or both of the people that own these paintings give me an answer?

Hi there Studio-Pots, my piece was bought I'm guessing in the 80s or 90s in London. I'm guessing because I inherited this piece so I don't know exactly when.
artcollector
artcollector

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 19th 2020, 5:59 pm

Thanks artcollector.

Although there are numerous artists in The Dictionary of Artist in Britain since 1945 with the name Gordon, none fit the style or timeline nor worked in London or the south of England at the time of these two paintings.

Therefore the Jeremy Gordon mentioned above seems the best bet. I have looked at his website and the paintings there might well have a connection. It's a slim chance but nevertheless if it was mine I would email info@alienpants.com to see if Jeremy is still alive. Artists are generally accommodating, unless they are famous!!

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by artcollector March 20th 2020, 10:20 am

Thank you studio-pots, for looking into this and for your kind advice.
I will drop Jeremy Gordon an email and see what he has to say if anything.
artcollector
artcollector

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 March 30th 2020, 11:48 am

Hi Studio Pots and apologies for not replying earlier - I am based in Berkshire and came across this painting a while ago in my local area but have no idea of its history.

Having looked at the previous posts I do think in terms of the style that the two paintings are by the same artist.
Leach54321
Leach54321

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2018-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by brin mcardle April 5th 2020, 11:34 pm

they are gorgeous
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum