Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal

3 posters

Go down

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Empty Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal

Post by finders9 August 18th 2019, 5:24 am

Recently picked up a demitasse cup and saucer, unmarked except for "made in Italy", obviously of some age, quite charming in decoration and form - the design I discovered after some research is after the "Papageno" by Johann Haviland apparently created for Rosenthal ca 1950?  In the case of my rendition, the pattern is not painted but rather sgraffito.  My assumption is that the Italian version was an imitation of the German? but would be interested in the views of others.  Some time spent searching on line failed to locate other examples of my china. As to size - cup measures about 3" across rim, saucer about 5" diameter.  Welcome comments.  thanks

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Img_2039

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Img_2037

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Img_2038

finders9
finders9

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-21

Back to top Go down

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Empty Re: Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal

Post by NaomiM August 18th 2019, 11:01 am

It looks like a 60s-70s piece but It may not be possible to ID without a maker’s mark, but it would help to see a photo of the base

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Empty Re: Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal

Post by denbydump August 18th 2019, 11:27 am

Stylistically I would say pure 1950s.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7326
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by finders9 August 18th 2019, 1:36 pm

Thanks for - attaching photo of bottom of cup and bottom of saucer which is very faint but reads "MADE IN ITALY".Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Img_2040
Italian Pottery Cup/Saucer a la JOHANN HAVILAND PAPAGENO for Rosenthal Img_2041
finders9
finders9

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 18th 2019, 2:41 pm

Seeing the mark I would say 50s too. Later pieces tend to have the black ink stamp.
Unfortunately the records for most of the 20thC Italian manufacturers have been lost, and are only slowly being pieced together by Italian Collectors groups based on import/retailers numbers written on the base

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum