Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark

+2
NaomiM
silverbug
6 posters

Go down

Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  Empty Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark

Post by silverbug August 6th 2019, 10:17 pm

Hi,
Can anyone please tell me if the shown porcelain vase is old , or if it is in fact modern?
It is definitely hand-painted (no transfers at all) and so too is the mark.
However it just looks so ‘clean’ that I can’t help but think it’s relatively new?
Thanks!
Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  7f5f2210
Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  D74dd010
silverbug
silverbug

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  Empty Re: Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark

Post by silverbug August 6th 2019, 10:18 pm

Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  45368310
Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  E7fc7c10
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark  Empty Re: Chinese porcelain prunus vase, late 19thC faux-Kangxi mark

Post by NaomiM August 7th 2019, 12:01 am

The best place for 20thC Chinese Marks is the Gotheborg.com website. The mark on yours translates to an earlier Dynasty than when it was actually made. The Chinese started using that form of the mark in the late 19thC but it could be 20thC. It is a very popular pattern and still being produced

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 7th 2019, 2:43 pm

But.....
Given that the Chinese have had a couple of thousand years of 'Copying'. How can anyone tell by just from a photo the authenticity of the piece? Simple answer is No. The only way you will get it fully confirmed is by one of those snooty 'experts' from a posh auction house.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot August 7th 2019, 2:53 pm

personally I would say that the thickness of the porcelain, the lack of wear on the foot and the crude brushwork indicate that it has no age at all but then I'm no expert snooty or otherwise on chinese porcelain
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump August 7th 2019, 3:39 pm

Kangxi Nian Zhi - "Kangxi Period Make"

It could be early 20thC.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton August 7th 2019, 5:23 pm

tenpot wrote:personally I would say that the thickness of the porcelain, the lack of wear on the foot and the crude brushwork indicate that it has no age at all but then I'm no expert snooty or otherwise on chinese porcelain

I would agree with this, I see a few of this style around perhaps I should pay more attention to them!
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 7th 2019, 6:47 pm

This is the faux-Kangxi mark, which is late 19thC.
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t21086-chinese-blue-and-white-prunus-pattern-vase-faux-kangxi-4-character-mark

The one at the top of this thread looks like a faux-faux-kangxi mark

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by silverbug August 8th 2019, 4:57 am

Thanks all for your replies.
I thought it likely when I bought it that it was modern , but being unsure of these things decided to take a punt on it, at £2 I’m not going to lose any sleep over it!
At least I know a little more about Chinese porcelain now!
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum