Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark

3 posters

Go down

Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Empty Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark

Post by debbie23g July 26th 2019, 4:49 pm

Hello
Does anyone recognise this piece/artist/backstamp ?
Its very unusual with the  clay (?) model on the lid.  It looks like its been made by a talented potter and has a crystalline drip glaze  around the top half of the pot.  Do you think someone made the pot and possibly someone else stuck the figure on top?

Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Img_1410
Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Img_1411
Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Img_1412
Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Img_1413

Any help really appreciated.

Last edited by NaomiM on July 26th 2019, 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : crystalline not lustre. confused!)
debbie23g
debbie23g

Female Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-07-19

Back to top Go down

Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Empty Re: Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark

Post by NaomiM July 26th 2019, 6:24 pm

I think they were fired together . It’s the type of incised mark & date, and wacky style of pot, more commonly seen in the US.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark  Empty Re: Unusual ginger jar with a naked lady, KP mark

Post by philpot July 27th 2019, 7:16 am

That is so totally Non-PC! Laughter Can you imagine anything like that daring to be sold by anybody in our modern 'liberated' yet straight laced times? 1940's/50's American pottery? The name Dorothy Kindell seems to come up frequently in search.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by debbie23g July 27th 2019, 3:37 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts.  As I have several pieces with the same/similar backstamp someone has suggested that they are by a hobby potter having a clear out, and so I presumably wont be able to identify the potter.  Really nice pieces though and very competently made so I shall add them to my collection - with maybe a strategically placed hankie when the in laws visit :)

Last edited by debbie23g on July 27th 2019, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
debbie23g
debbie23g

Female Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2015-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum