Skewing Online Market Price

5 posters

Go down

Skewing Online Market Price  Empty Skewing Online Market Price

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 18th 2019, 12:27 pm

OK so I'm a fan of Stig Lindberg (1916 - 1982), for those not familiar her worked for Gustavsberg in Sweden, designed everything from fabrics to fountains and was extremity influential and way ahead of his time. His works have a massive streak of both humour and quirkiness.

IMAGES

So building up my stash over the years, buying pieces when the price drops into the right bracket but about a year ago someone opened an Etsy account and listed about 30 /40 items of Stig design. So far so good, all items are above average and not damage. The problem is that they are massively overpriced. Probably by a factor of x2 or x3+ on what items were selling at previously.

So five years ago a large dish was say £100-150 and it's not listed for £685  Shrugs
The triangular 300mm leaf dishes were typically selling for £100 and now it's listed for £250  Shrugs

The problem is that the sales from this seller are a trickle so items just sit there skewing and constipating Skewing Online Market Price  217697806  the market. It's seems to have affected ebay

So I'm a buyer, so it's disappointing that one person can possibly skew the market. Imagine if I swamped ebay with twenty good quality items of your favorite artist and asked thousands for them, many times what they are currently selling for. The casual loft-clear seller would be really confused, and suddenly more an more items are listed at massive prices.

It's hard to believe but over time this does seem to affect the online market.  Wah  Waaah
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Skewing Online Market Price  Empty Re: Skewing Online Market Price

Post by NaomiM May 18th 2019, 1:52 pm

I don’t think it skews the market because collectors know they’re massively over priced and just ignore them. They’re not the only ones trying it on - just look at Maltby listings.
It’s like the prices on 1stdibs which dealers that run shops use to persuade suckers that their prices are cheaper than online ones.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31867
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 18th 2019, 10:49 pm

N, the point being that loft sellers who make up a good portion of the market don't list at 99p any more (?=unknown) but start at an unreasonable £365 matching the unsold but listed price.

It skews the market!

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2019, 12:02 am

But collectors dont buy the higher priced pieces when there are still bargains to be had. The only time it would skew the market is if they start doing what the Chinese dealers do and have shill bidding to make it look like there are buyers at that price

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables May 19th 2019, 10:17 am

I think the problem is mainly about on-line selling where there is no face to face contact. The world may be a smaller place because of it but sometimes it is best to just imagine that without a computer you wouldn't know about the overpriced item and therefore wouldn't be upset by the price. If you can talk to a seller at least you can tell them what you think of their prices and offer what you believe to be a fair price. I appreciate that for many on-line offers so much but there can be a downside. I have no idea why some sellers offer items at the same high price for months,years even when surely they would do better to turn over items quickly. Some probably think they are important enough to be able to affect the market. Why not take your next holiday in Sweden and see whats about ( I'm not trying to be facetious ). I don't think my rambling interjection has moved the discussion on at all, sorry about that, but I do understand your pain.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2019, 1:00 pm

I think eBay has been a great leveller. Buyers can see what’s rare and high priced; and what’s ubiquitous and over priced

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 20th 2019, 7:59 am

Is it actually possible for just one individual to skew a whole marketplace?
A group acting together certainly can as has been shown historically at auctions.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6529
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 20th 2019, 8:46 am

if it's a very small pottery or lone potter then the value can be affected by flooding or overpricing so it depends on how many pots are available to the market

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15454
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 20th 2019, 11:23 am

A couple buyers skewed the market for Seneshall cats a few years ago, sending them up to £50-60 each. They’re now down to £15-25. And the bottom fell out of the mottoware and carnival glass market when Americans stopped buying

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum