+3
philpot
NaomiM
dantheman
7 posters

Go down

POTTERS OR POTTERY Empty POTTERS OR POTTERY

Post by dantheman March 30th 2019, 6:56 pm

We seem to talk mainly about who made our pots or which pottery they were made at but  we rarely talk about the pots themselves.
Does anyone else think this is odd?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15454
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

POTTERS OR POTTERY Empty Re: POTTERS OR POTTERY

Post by NaomiM March 30th 2019, 8:23 pm

No. Pots are about handling and looking at them, imo. We get to see or post photos but handling isn’t something you can describe

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31868
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 30th 2019, 9:16 pm

but we rarely even mention how they have been decorated or made

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 31st 2019, 6:32 am

Its much the same elsewhere Dan. On Paintings and sculpture there are literallly whole libraries of criticism, history, discussion, debate all going back through the centuries.  Try looking for the same sort of critical debate about pottery and styles, and you would find it very sparse indeed.
            Personally I think its purely down to snobbery. Paintings and sculpture are considered 'Fine Art' with a whole history, and industry of special interest behind them. 'Fine Art' has always been a province of the rich and powerful, a symbol of status and power. Go right back throughout civilised history and it has always been much the same.
            Whereas Pottery has mostly been regarded as an everyday item, the province of the masses, of low status. There are exceptions to that of course, but as a generalisation it is probably correct.
           In consequence, we have no real collective idea whatsoever on how to talk about more abstract nature of pottery. Okay, you can talk about the glazes, the firing, the production... But that is just the technicalities. You don't get much discussions on the type of brush used, the type of canvas, the quality of paint when talking about Fine Art. Try having a positive critical discussion on a pottery Forum group, and you will get very short shrift indeed!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6529
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 31st 2019, 10:04 am

it's a shame that this happens on our forum, members show a real love for pottery so why just make it a name game?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 31st 2019, 10:13 am

of course, none potters don't always know which glazes have been used but it wouldn't hurt to mention how a pot feels in the hand or if a glaze colour changes in different lights, etc.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot March 31st 2019, 11:16 am

I've been thiking in the long run paintings end up in a skip where as people will keep pottery (if it dosn't break)
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2636
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2019, 11:57 am

To echo Philpot’s piece... A lot of old paintings are full of symbolism that tells a whole story if you know how to read and decipher then - Sister Mary’s documentaries on paintings proves that. But unless you get into Oriental or Persian Pottery, for most potters and the pot’s owner’s a pot is just a pot. It’s raison d’etre is as a functional piece. Yes, there are the Ceramic artists and sculptures which are Art expressed in clay, and which can be full of symbolism like Grayson Perry or Edmund Waal’s works but most of us can’t afford those. We buy plates and jugs and mugs and vases.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. March 31st 2019, 3:20 pm

Few people talk about how paintings are made? Yet there is vast discussion about the painting themselves. I think if you went to an amateur potters forum you would get the opposite, a lot of talk about glazes, firings and the science of ceramics but less chat about other people work.

Last edited by 22 Crawford St. on March 31st 2019, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 31st 2019, 5:48 pm

NaomiM wrote:To echo Philpot’s piece... A lot of old paintings are full of symbolism that tells a whole story if you know how to read and decipher then - Sister Mary’s documentaries on paintings proves that. But unless you get into Oriental or Persian Pottery, for most potters and the pot’s owner’s a pot is just a pot. It’s raison d’etre is as a functional piece. Yes, there are the Ceramic artists and sculptures which are Art expressed in clay, and which can be full of symbolism like Grayson Perry or Edmund Waal’s works but most of us can’t afford those. We buy plates and jugs and mugs and vases.

"symbolism in Edmund de Waal's work" - you like to slip in your jokes, Naomi. Big Laughter

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 31st 2019, 5:53 pm

I do agree with Dan and I think I do try to put some information about the actual pots on occasions but I will try harder.

The other day I mentioned that I have seen many bowls by Clare Sutcliffe offered for sale and sold as "early Joanna Constantinidis". Describing the clay body, the type of glazes and the method of firing are what distinguish the two rather than their C seal marks, which were similar.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7811
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2019, 6:07 pm

studio-pots wrote:
NaomiM wrote:To echo Philpot’s piece... A lot of old paintings are full of symbolism that tells a whole story if you know how to read and decipher then - Sister Mary’s documentaries on paintings proves that. But unless you get into Oriental or Persian Pottery, for most potters and the pot’s owner’s a pot is just a pot. It’s raison d’etre is as a functional piece. Yes, there are the Ceramic artists and sculptures which are Art expressed in clay, and which can be full of symbolism like Grayson Perry or Edmund Waal’s works but most of us can’t afford those. We buy plates and jugs and mugs and vases.

"symbolism in Edmund de Waal's work" - you like to slip in your jokes, Naomi. Big Laughter

That was just for you SP Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 31st 2019, 7:10 pm

De Waal's work symbolizes mediocrity

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2019, 7:41 pm

If any work requires a detailed explanation for those who don’t “get it” it’s de Waal’s installations.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2019, 7:44 pm

There was one CAL where a potter was selling broken shards. It was only later that I read that these were part of her performance art. Now that was something where you really had to be at the performance to appreciate their significance, and even then it was just a table of broken pots Shrugs

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 31st 2019, 7:46 pm

Paul Wearing’s pots took me a while to appreciate them, and in the end it was a series of professional photos where I finally “saw” them.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump March 31st 2019, 8:05 pm

My John Clappison Angler fish hand built vase. next to the telly
as i have breakfast.
POTTERS OR POTTERY Jwcvas10
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7326
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 1st 2019, 8:17 am

Well lets illustrate Stuidio-Pots point then. Clare Sutcliffe and Joanna Constaninidis.POTTERS OR POTTERY Img_3842POTTERS OR POTTERY Img_3843POTTERS OR POTTERY Img_3910POTTERS OR POTTERY Img_3911

Is there any real doubt which is which? The Joanna Constantinidis is probably not the best piece of her work. Reasonably early in her career, stoneware, quite heavy and large but with a touch of the glazing she was to use a lot later in her career. Clare Sutcliffe is clearly of the Cardew style, and its a nice piece. The glazes are effective, the bands lend a somewhat expressionistic style. Yet Constantinidis is collected, Clare Sutcliffe is not.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6529
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum