Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams

+3
studio-pots
philpot
climberg64
7 posters

Go down

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Empty Mary Gibson Horrocks, Buckfast Abbey Pottery

Post by climberg64 January 6th 2013, 1:27 pm

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams P1010147
Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams P1010148

Mary Gibson-Horrocks (an early Leach student) and Gregory Tingay as Brother Alexander produced some gorgeous work. I love the proportions of this and the simple decoration and the unusual glaze colour. Under-rated work IMO.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Empty Re: Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams

Post by climberg64 February 10th 2013, 11:59 am

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams P1010110
Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams P1010111
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Empty Re: Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams

Post by philpot February 11th 2013, 5:59 am

Mary Gibson Horrocks is probably almost unique,as she worked both at Leach St Ives,and with Michael Cardew. This particular shape is almost atypical.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6579
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2013, 8:39 pm

Mary is either unique or she's not..................... and she's not. Cheeky

I like her pots though.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 11th 2013, 9:07 pm

One was talking about her experience. I don't know any others that did the Leach/Cardew track in the 40's/50's. Tho no doubt someone else does.Hence the 'almost'.
Any more hairs you wanna split? Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2013, 10:50 pm

It was rotten of me I know but I just couldn't stop myself!

You are quite right in that she is unique in being one of the few to have worked with Bernard Leach and Michael Cardew.

Besides Michael Cardew, who fits the bill, the others that I am aware of are Robert Blatherwick, David Stannard (from USA), Peter Stichbury (NZ potter, who worked with Cardew in Abuja), Gwyn Hanssen Pigott (Australia), Chantal Donoyer (France) and Michael Cartwright.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 29th 2014, 3:51 pm

First one I've found although I'm sure there's loads of them about.

I couldn't read it in the shop.

It's really enjoyable/interesting buying pots bringing them home and finding out the history.

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 2014-109

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 2014-110

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon April 17th 2016, 2:32 pm

Little bud vase with sgraffito swirls. The mark should have a running stag (a fast buck, I suppose) in the centre, but only a hoof and the tip of an antler have registered.

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Dscf3119

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Dscf3120
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon July 18th 2017, 5:21 pm

Vase 9.5cm high. Impressed mark with the running stag and the words "Buckfast Abbey Crafts Ceramics".

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Dscf5114

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Dscf5115

hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 21st 2017, 10:25 am

Edited:

Mary Boys-Adams, (nee Mary Gibson-Horrocks), moved to Buckfast Abbey to teach the monks. She was deaf-mute, working there in the 60s if not longer, and had been a student of Bernard Leach

Last edited by NaomiM on February 6th 2018, 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32036
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon November 23rd 2017, 11:52 am

http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=262
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 6th 2018, 12:35 am

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 583e1c10

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Ebf81810 Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 7d236d10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Empty Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams

Post by Rochellewillow March 4th 2019, 12:23 pm

I have acquired a nice little vase today but I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the different marks can differentiate a time line. There are some stamped incised with a stag mark some like this and some MGH for Mary Gibson Horrocks. Does the difference tell when made. Thank you.Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 3aebf610
Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 36a49c10
Rochellewillow
Rochellewillow

Female Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2018-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 4th 2019, 1:08 pm

She set it up in the 50s, and the Buckfast stamp was in use later, so the lack of a stamp points to an early date, but beyond that I can only speculate

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochellewillow March 4th 2019, 1:29 pm

Thank you I was unsure as it looks very modern, would this be by her in your opinion or would it be marked with her initials if that were the case.
Rochellewillow
Rochellewillow

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 4th 2019, 3:46 pm

It was originally set it up by the monks in 1952 before she arrived and ran it, training the monks etc, so probably not by her personally

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochellewillow March 4th 2019, 3:48 pm

Ok interesting thank you
Rochellewillow
Rochellewillow

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 5th 2019, 7:35 am

Over the years I have come across a lot of Mary Gibson Horrocks\Buckfast Abbey pottery  in charity shops and boot sales. To such an extent that it must have been produced in quantity by a number of people. Think Aldermaston, Winchcombe, Prinknash, Leach standard ware, Briglin sort of scale.
          It had the perfect site for tourist giftware sales. Lovely building and grounds, halfway twist Sea and Moors, just of the main A38 Exeter/Plymouth trunk road with a ready source of labour.
          The monks were very good at commercial ventures. The notorious Buckfast Abbey Fortified Wine (the bane of Glaswegian alcoholics) was produced there.
Proof in point, at this precise moment there are 46 items of Buckfast/Mary Gibson Horrocks items on sale on Ebay. That is a lot!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 24th 2020, 1:15 pm

I have just seen that Mary Boys-Adams (nee Gibson-Horrocks) has died at the age of 97. (1923 - 2020).

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 24th 2020, 2:07 pm

Oh that is sad. Probably nearly the last of that immediate post-war generation that worked at the Leach pottery and Wenford Bridge with Michael Cardew.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 14th 2022, 10:20 pm

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams 86defc10

Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Cd792f10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jamie August 6th 2023, 11:00 pm

NGL best noodle mug ever, it’s huge! Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Img_0116
Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Img_0117
Buckfast Abbey Pottery - Mary Gibson-Horrocks / Boys-Adams Img_0118
jamie
jamie

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2023-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum