Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott

4 posters

Go down

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Empty Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott

Post by benwilliams February 19th 2019, 4:49 pm

Tried to ID this a few times and surprisingly couldn’t. Well thrown, heavy 19” stoneware jug, well decorated. I did wonder if it might be foreign. I’ll probably find now that it’s a local Devon piece and I know nothing. I know I’ve put a lot of pots on recently. I’m not working right now and I’m wading through boxes. I just want to say to all of you who’ve messaged with facts and opinions - I really appreciate it. It’s great for improving my knowledge.

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 2b8b8c10
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Ac373110
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 3a41a610
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Empty Re: Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott

Post by benwilliams February 19th 2019, 4:50 pm

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 9d07f710
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott C8e56310
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 967ba010
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Empty Re: Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott

Post by philpot February 20th 2019, 7:55 am

The decoration does look like Abuja. Yet none of the recognised Abuja potters fit that signature.It looks slightly odd actually. The top and the bottom look as though they were made separately, and then shoved on to each other.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6395
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 20th 2019, 9:45 am

I think you’re right, it may well have been thrown as two pieces and joined. It’s an unusual pot and I’m sure it’s been sold in a gallery with the ticket on the base. But I guess it could be foreign.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 20th 2019, 10:30 am

I’ve come across it a few times before but not managed to ID it. It’s a bit like Andrew Van Der Putten ‘s mark from New Zealand, or there’s Dorothy (Dotty) Pennicott

Mystery mark
https://pin.it/dqhwyudojkpwii

Andrew Van Der Putten -
https://pin.it/slvwsht4u2knzm

Dotty Pennicott -
https://pin.it/7gvsbugzabclxx

Last edited by NaomiM on February 20th 2019, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 20th 2019, 4:54 pm

The mark on the stoneware dish on the first link looks like the one. Hopefully we’ll find out one day. You must be so organised to be able to find information and not lose it!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 20th 2019, 5:56 pm

I rely on Pinterest as my filing system.

I’ve edited the previous post because I forgot to include Andrew Van Der Putten’s mark. The one you saw is another example like yours

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Empty Pottery OWL, CH and AP Marks - Christine Hall, Aston Pottery, Henley

Post by Leach54321 March 20th 2019, 5:12 pm

This is a stoneware model of an owl which despite having clear monograms of CH or GH and AP I have not been able to ID - can anyone help?

Thanks
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Img_8210
Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott Img_8211
Leach54321
Leach54321

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2018-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 20th 2019, 8:17 pm

AP for Aston Pottery, Henley on Thames, set up and run by Dotty (Dorothy) Pennicott in the 1960s-70s and it then continued for a time under her son in law, Anthony Southwell (now deceased). CH for l, her daughter Christine Hall who was married to Anthony

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 4th 2021, 4:52 pm

I’ve just been through some of my old posts.
It looks like you’ve got a positive ID on this now?
Anthony Southwell, Aston Pottery?
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 4th 2021, 5:00 pm

benwilliams wrote:I’ve just been through some of my old posts.
It looks like you’ve got a positive ID on this now?
Anthony Southwell, Aston Pottery?

Yes. Most Excellent
Although difficult to tell if the pieces are by Dotty (Dorothy) Pennicott who set up the pottery, or her son-in-law Anthony Southwell who carried it on.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 4th 2021, 5:08 pm

Hooray, well done! I’m happy to send it off to a new home then and as it is a monster jug it’ll make some much needed space. Thank you!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 4th 2021, 6:33 pm

I would certainly not like to pack that one for secure posting! Laughter
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6395
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 4th 2021, 7:17 pm

Touch wood, Hermes have been very good. Now well hear about the nightmare deliveries!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 9th 2022, 10:05 pm

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 12ceb010

Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 02645c10 Aston Pottery, Anthony Southwell, Christine Hall & Dorothy Pennicott 7ec91810

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum