Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany

3 posters

Go down

Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  Empty Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany

Post by Tim February 8th 2019, 11:23 am

My dad has asked me to help him ID the maker of this vase.

It's about 53 cm high (including the lid), weighs about 5.5 kg and he thinks it's porcelain (I live abroad so I don't have physical access to the vase myself, all I have are these pictures).

The bottom is clearly signed with R.R. and my dad can't find any other signs / marks.

Would any be able to help find out a bit more about this vase? Many thanks in advance for all your efforts.

Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  20190210
Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  20190211
Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  20190212
Tim
Tim

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-08

Back to top Go down

Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  Empty Re: Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany

Post by touchdry February 8th 2019, 11:51 am

It looks a bit similar to French/Spanish Blue and White Maiolica ...

Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  Lion110
Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  Lion210
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Back to top Go down

Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany  Empty Re: Large white / blue vase signed R.R. - maiolica - Florence, Tuscany

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2019, 8:06 pm

It was made in or around Florence in Tuscany. It’s a modern copy of a traditional design, featuring a rampant lion and stylised oak leaves in cobalt blue against a white tin glazed (maiolica) background. The potter has added their initials but they have been made for hundreds of years in the region so who made this one probably isn’t important.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim February 8th 2019, 8:28 pm

Any idea about the value of this piece and how recent this might be?
Tim
Tim

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 8th 2019, 8:44 pm

Modern. Probably originally bought while on holiday which is why there’s no ‘italy’ written in the base. Probably quite expensive went bought new in Tuscany, but purely decorative value in the U.K. - whatever anyone’s prepared to pay for it. You might find similar ones that have sold on eBay, to give you an idea of value

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum