Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE

2 posters

Go down

Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Empty Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE

Post by touchdry Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Gar110
Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Gar210
Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Gar310

I think this is an old tourist "trinket" ... it is a very small gargoulette - so the question would be "what would be drunk from it? Pastis?". Underneath there is the size number 3 which could imply that it did have a purpose. Other than that it would be just an ornament.

The "sliptrail" has gone crazy ... covering every part - even the knob on the lid. The only place I have seen this kind of trailing is found in the works done at CAB (Ceramique d'Art de Bordeaux), which I was only informed about last week ... but I do not think this is from there.

The mark underneath is not legible apart from what might be the word ending "... ESTAISE" followed by at least two small stars. It is possible that the word "FRANCE" runs across the centre of the circular mark - if, in deed it comes from France. There appears to be another word/s running around the lower part of the mark.

What else can I say about this fascinating piece of pottery? Can you help?

Last edited by touchdry on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Back to top Go down

Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Empty Re: Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE

Post by touchdry Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Found it!

It is "CERAMIQUE LE CHARENTAISE" then "Angouleme" runninng across the middle of the mark. Believe it or not, but this is actually a teapot ... an Art Deco one! Alfred Renoleau employed this type of trailing back in the 20s and 30s.
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Back to top Go down

Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE Empty Re: Small Gargoulette with sliptrail! marked - CERAMIQUE LA CHARENTAISE

Post by NaomiM Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 pm

That’s great! I’ve never seen anything like it before Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum