Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery

+3
philpot
denbydump
tigerchips
7 posters

Go down

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Empty Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery

Post by tigerchips Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Dsc08117
tigerchips
tigerchips

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2017-06-21

Back to top Go down

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Empty Re: Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery

Post by denbydump Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Need a base pic, but looks more like Rooke to me.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Empty Re: Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery

Post by philpot Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

The mark would be an incised W on work like this often difficult to see. How heavy is it? This type of 60's stuff can be quite lumpy. My vote would be for Wallwork. That type of decoration on the top is not something you see much of on a Rooke piece.

Images from the Greenwich years 1960-65.

http://www.alanwallwork.info/gallery/index.php?sfpg=MDIgR3JlZW53aWNoLyoqZjIwMDg3ODY5ODBlNjc2MDI4YTBlNzQ5MTk3ZjJhZjBiMGQ1ZGRmYTJhOTgzNDIwY2YxNjNjMzc0MjAzNjJhOA&info=1
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6393
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Wallwork almost invariably has a concave depression on the base, so a base photo is essential. We do have a couple of long threads on Wallwork and Rooke, so if there’s no mark then you’ll need to plough through them and highlight the pots that match the different elements in the decoration. Each handbuilt vase was unique but both potters did carry over their styles of decoration on a mix & match basis.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31473
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Just checked over my collection. Got one of a very similar shape. I would say definitely Wallwork
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerchips Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks, here's a few more pics...
Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Dsc08210
Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Dsc08118

Weighs about 900 kg. Measures 7 inches high. It does indeed have a slight concave depression in the centre of the base.
tigerchips
tigerchips

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2017-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Just to confuse things even more, there was a lady called Sally Shalam who worked as an assistant to Jon Cheney at Porthleven Pottery back in the 60s or 70s who made similar pieces.
Without an incised AW or W, I doubt it’s by Wallwork

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 pm

the inside looks very unlike the Wallwork vases that I have seen

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 am

These two are the insides of slab built vases by Fern’s Porthleven Pottery. The technique looks very similar

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Ea8d1110
Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery A21d4310

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

I'm guessing TC's pot was made using a form of some kind which left those very uniformed impressions on the inside of the vase

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pottyal Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 am

Years ago I read somewhere that Alan Wallwork used coils of clay that were built up around on top of each other to make the vase. This would leave ring marks inside if they weren't smoothed out
Pottyal
Pottyal

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2018-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Pottyal Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 am

Is there not an Lh mark anywhere for Louis Hudson pottery usually on the side
Pottyal
Pottyal

Back to top Go down

Post by Pottyal Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 pm

I would say its Wallwork because of the concave base
Pottyal
Pottyal

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm

only one person could say for sure

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Img_2011[url=https://servimg.com/view/15893997/763]Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Img_2012[/url

This is ours. Bought from the Devon Guild at Bovey Tracey Devon, which was a major outlet for Alan Wallwork
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 pm

tigerchips wrote:Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Dsc08117

[quote="philpot"]Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Img_2011[url=https://servimg.com/view/15893997/763]Wallwork vase? - probably Sonia Sjoholm, Porthleven Pottery Img_2012[/url

JUST TO COMPARE

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:09 pm

You have got to remember of course, that the W mark was not a personal Alan Wallwork imprimatur. Much as sellers on Ebay would like it to be. So basically the W means it could have been made by anyone who worked for Alan Wallwork at the time. In auctioneers terms the true description of a Wallwork with a W mark would be 'STUDIO of Alan Wallwork' and a description of this particular piece would be 'SCHOOL of Alan Wallwork'. Hence the discussion here.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

philpot wrote:You have got to remember of course, that the W mark was not a personal Alan Wallwork imprimatur. Much as sellers on Ebay would like it to be. So basically the W means it could have been made by anyone who worked for Alan Wallwork at the time. In auctioneers terms the true description of a Wallwork with a W mark would be 'STUDIO of Alan Wallwork' and a description of this particular piece would be 'SCHOOL of Alan Wallwork'. Hence the discussion here.

Not sure that is absolutely correct. Back in the 1960s Alan worked in a very similar way to Hamada, although what they made wouldn't be confused.

What I mean by that is that Alan had assistants, who made the basic vessels and he would have made some too, depending on how busy he was. However, the decoration on them was done by Alan, the artistic bit if you like. So certainly a pot with a W is as much a pot by Alan Wallwork, as any Hamada pot is by Hamada and any old master painting is by the artist, who signed it.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Regarding the vase here, I wouldn't say with any confidence that it was made by Alan Wallwork. I did in the past have an unmarked vase that I thought could have been made by him but thought unlikely. However, when I showed it to Alan he told me he had made it, so I could be wrong but without Alan saying that it was his then there is always going to be a doubt.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum