Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify?

2 posters

Go down

Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify? Empty Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify?

Post by Beege May 23rd 2018, 7:04 pm

Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify? Purple10
Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify? Purple11
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify? Empty Re: Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify?

Post by Beege May 23rd 2018, 7:05 pm

My text disappeared when I sent this topic...

Good evening all.
I purchased this bowl simply from curiosity. I like the grey/green glaze very much and the subsequent purple glazed seems to have been 'poured' on top. Is this how the process works: one glaze applied and a subsequent glaze added for a further firing?
I couldn't see any identification marks, but there does seem to be a large '12' on the base...unless it occurred by accident when the glaze was applied. Does anyone recognise the maker/design?
Thank you.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify? Empty Re: Purple glazed bowl - can you help identify?

Post by NaomiM May 23rd 2018, 7:50 pm

The glazes could have been applied one after the other before firing. The top purple glaze has crawled slightly, leaving crevases and islands of glaze. The Leaches used a white or grey version at Muchelney and The Friars Aylesford. I’ve not come across a purple version. Maybe it was a glaze test, which may account for the number 12 written in the base. Unfortunately, without a potter’s mark it’ll be very difficult to ID.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege May 23rd 2018, 8:48 pm

Thank you Naomi.
Does that mean a glaze needs to 'dry' before another is applied...then fired?
I've quickly checked 'The Leaches' to discover the East/West artistic amalgamation...how interesting. Your description of what the 12 represents makes sense and I appreciate the difficult nature of identification without any markings.
I like the bright, chaotic effects of these glazes.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 24th 2018, 2:16 am

You’d need to ask a potter about the technicalities of glazing; I only know what I’ve picked up from collecting similarly glazed pieces. I think the technical term for the fissuring of the purple glaze is ‘breaking’ but don’t quote me on that! Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum