Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought (MJC or JMC?)

2 posters

Go down

Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Empty Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought (MJC or JMC?)

Post by J2020 October 29th 2017, 6:13 pm

Hi,
Hoping someone can identify the manufacturer of a silver-plated goblet manufactured in Wales? (see photos)

It stands 130mm tall and approx. 55mm wide (rim slightly wider than the base) and weighs about 137g .
Stalk and base are sealed - possibly hollow?
There are impressed marks on the base - "SILVER PLATE ON COPPER", a monogram/logo depicting a stylised J (or I?) over a crown-like capital "M" both overlaid by a smaller "C", and "MADE IN WALES"

Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Goblet11
Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Goblet10
Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Goblet12
Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Inside10

Over the years I've found other such goblets (and candelabra - all in the same style with a beaded border near the base) advertised on online auction sites etc. and auction-house catalogues
- none of which have identified the maker.
Any further information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
J2020
J2020

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-10-09

Back to top Go down

Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought  (MJC or JMC?) Empty Re: Welsh Silver Plate goblet - maker ID sought (MJC or JMC?)

Post by kpaffey December 29th 2020, 6:34 pm

Hi

This mark belongs to Jack Muller - he was a family friend since I was small child (he and my uncle met during the war and remained firm friends until Jack's death); I believe he died in the late 1990s. He and his wife lived close to Caernafon where he made all manner of silverware and supplied Boots the chemist giftware range for many years. I have a range of goblets and a marvelous candelabra. I hope this helps - I'm not sure I have anything else of help but if you have a question or two please feel free to contact me via theisland@talktalk.net
kpaffey
kpaffey

Female Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-10-22

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum